Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

essential

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2008
Sync Library is off, and has never been on.

I have a large local library and when I signed up for Apple Music I never allowed Library Sync to be turned on because I didn't want to have to merge my local library with Apple Music. I am hoping one day Apple allows a separate Apple Music library, but until then I can't "add" anything on Apple Music to my library, I have to stream from searches when needed.

My local library's ID3 tags are all in lowercase, it's a personal preference. I've noticed when I stream an artist from Apple Music, that I also have in my local library, their artist name in the artist list, and when playing, becomes capitalized to match the Apple Music name. After playing the artist even once from Apple Music, it remains this way for my local library going forward.

This annoyed me but wasn't a big deal till now. One of the artists in my local library uses the o with the slash through in their name (ø). My local ID3 tags include this ø in their name. Their name on Apple Music does not include the ø, Apple Music uses a normal o.

This has actually broken my local smart playlists that include this artists name. They just don't appear in any of the smart playlists I created using their "artist name" because it no longer matches (because of the change from ø to o).

Does anyone know a way to disable Apple Music's tinkering with a local library's tags? The only thing I can find is to keep library sync off, but it was never turned on.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.