Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
I'm probably naïve for thinking that when they said that Apple Music was coming to ATV in the fall, that it also meant to the then current version of the ATV. I mean, it seems reasonable that there would be a software update for the ATV3 to add support for Apple Music. Shouldn't hold my breath, though...

From all of the unpleasant things I'm hearing and reading about the ATV4, I'm holding off on it until it sees some updates, so it would be nice if my current ATV3 units could use Apple Music.

tillsbury

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2007
What unpleasant things are you hearing where you are? I'm only hearing good things here, apart from a few people who wish it did more than it does. It's great.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Granted, it represents a very small (and biased) sample of users, but looking on these forums provides a few: Siri limitations; remote app not working; lack of bluetooth keyboard support; weak search ability.

Our token Mac guy at work has been unable to sign in to Netflix or HBO on his. He tried resetting the unit and also received the restore via iTunes message shown in another thread here.

I'm not saying it's horrible, and I obviously can't speak from experience, but I just don't see a reason to get one at this point, when my current ones still work. Lack of support for the remote app is reason enough for me not to get one right now. I understand that one of the main features of the new ATV is the remote and being able to use Siri, but I always know where my phone is and can always get a movie started that way.

Ralphalph

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2009
Dude, I am so peeved that Apple Music hasn't been released for the 3rd Generation Apple TV. I have no intention of buying the 4th gen one, as I pretty much only use it for listening to music through the home theatre speakers. I really hope they decide to update it to include Apple Music. This was clearly done to push the new hardware and not for technical reasons, eh?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.