Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
I play Apple Music through my iPhone and my HomePod. On both iOS and HomePod I've toggled off/on Update Listening History (through Settings app and Home app both on my iPhone). I don't really want to turn off Sync Library on my iPhone and then turn it back on and have to download all my music again.

I'm signed into Apple Music on two Macs and both are showing the same, outdated play count. According to my Mac, the last time a song was played from my iPhone or HomePod was the morning of Oct. 25. Looking back, that's when Sonoma 14.1 released (and I'm sure that's when I updated) but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it since my second Mac is still on Ventura 13.0 and it's showing the same play counts.

All other Apple Music functionality seems to be working. Creating a new playlist on one device gets synced across devices immediately and playback on one device is paused when I start to play on another device. It's just play count that's stopped working.

I've also updated all relevant devices to latest versions. Mac, at least one of them, is on 14.1.1, iOS is 17.1.1 and HomePod is 17.1.1.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
Same problem here. Two days worth of play counts have vanished into the black hole that is Apple cloud services. I can manually sync from the Mac to any other devices, but not vice versa.

I've submitted feedback to Apple multiple times asking for a way to manually trigger a library sync from iOS or iPadOS.

dadudeness

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
de
Play count sync iOS <-> macOS for me stopped Oct, 25th, which happens to be the day iOS17.1 and Sonoma x.1 were released (and installed by me, of course)

One last sync so far happened a couple of days later but from tvOS -> macOS. iOS hasn't updated any counter in Apple Music ever since.

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Same problem here. Two days worth of play counts have vanished into the black hole that is Apple cloud services. I can manually sync from the Mac to any other devices, but not vice versa.

I've submitted feedback to Apple multiple times asking for a way to manually trigger a library sync from iOS or iPadOS.
Was the last recorded song play also on Oct 25?

Play count sync iOS <-> macOS for me stopped Oct, 25th, which happens to be the day iOS17.1 and Sonoma x.1 were released (and installed by me, of course)

One last sync so far happened a couple of days later but from tvOS -> macOS. iOS hasn't updated any counter in Apple Music ever since.
Interesting, definitely feels like something is up with that update.

bgj887

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2015
Unfortunately I’ve noticed this same thing, it did start when I updated my phone and computer to the latest update, this happens at least once each major apple iOS update, hopefully it’s fixed in 17.2, and hopefully the play counts do update as the last player songs are reflected on the phone

tex210

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2003
I use iTunes Match service and have also lost Last Played and Play Count sync. I reported it here:
I’m not sure if it was the right place to do so however.
Edit: anyone running betas of 17.2 or Sanoma 14.2?

Last edited:

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
Same here. Plays from iPhone haven't registered since Oct 21st. However, if I play a song on my MacBook whatever paly count it has overwrites the data on my phone. Similarly, if I edit a songs metadata on my MacBook it will overwrite the play counts on my phone. I even have some songs with a Last Played date, but no Play Count.

iTim314

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2005
U.S.
I use iTunes Match service and have also lost Last Played and Play Count sync. I reported it here:
I’m not sure if it was the right place to do so however.
Edit: anyone running betas of 17.2 or Sanoma 14.2?
If I’m not mistaken, iCloud Music Library for Apple Music and iTunes Match are effectively the same service underneath, so it doesn’t surprise me that this doesn’t work.

Those that have this issue and are running the .2 betas say it’s not resolved there either.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
I talked to support (both chat and phone) and they did not acknowledge that it was a known issue.

jblucher

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2021
I updated and can confirm it is indeed fixed. Newly listened tracks are syncing better than ever (less delay and more reliably). I think some of the missed history ended up syncing over, but it doesn't seem like all of it. Either way, happy it is fixed moving forward.

Reactions: jonhoy

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Nice! I'm not going to download betas but I'm glad the fix is coming soon.

jonhoy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2015
Regarding missing plays over the last month, I took screenshots of my Apple Music Replay last week and compared it to today. The plays seem to be tracking there. Hopefully these plays will eventually sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.