Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
I currently have Apple Music & iTunes Match.

I'm thinking of cancelling Apple Music, do I need to download all the music I've saved from Apple Music to keep it, as I have iTunes match? Or does it simply just need to be in my library to keep it after my Apple Music subscription ends?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
If you cancel Apple Music, you will not be able to play any Apple Music tracks, regardless of whether or not you have downloaded them beforehand, even if you have iTunes Match.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
If you cancel iTunes Match, you will still keep your matched tracks that you have downloaded, but Apple Music tracks don't count as matched tracks.

Cancel iTunes Match = Keep previously downloaded matched tracks
Cancel Apple Music = Keep previously downloaded matched tracks (because Apple Music includes iTunes Match features - there is no need to subscribe to both), but lose all Apple Music tracks

Reactions: Green_Plums

Green_Plums

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2016
Uk
Got it.

I was under the impression that I'd be able to download as much music as I want from Apple Music, then keep all what I downloaded in iTunes Match when I cancelled Apple Music. I should have known £9.99 for unlimited music to keep was way too good to be true, thanks for explaining! :)

Reactions: Brookzy

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Got it.

I was under the impression that I'd be able to download as much music as I want from Apple Music, then keep all what I downloaded in iTunes Match when I cancelled Apple Music. I should have known £9.99 for unlimited music to keep was way too good to be true, thanks for explaining! :)
Why would you think that by paying £9.99 you would legally own all the music you could download in that time (probably close to 1,000,000 tracks using a bot)? Could you pay rent on a house, then stop paying and own it?

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
Why would you think that by paying £9.99 you would legally own all the music you could download in that time (probably close to 1,000,000 tracks using a bot)? Could you pay rent on a house, then stop paying and own it?

I would say that the general streaming model is still fairly young in age and these misunderstandings are totally just.

For example the whole 'Do I need iTunes Match?' is still a huge mystery really since Apple have not made it very clear at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.