Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
So I decided to save some space by no longer syncing my library of ripped CDs and downloaded purchased iTunes music but syncing my music library through Apple music and iCloud. What a mess, some of my album, ripped purchased CDs were listed twice - I mean the tracks were listed twice. All smartplaylists were doubled (I know hex don't work on iOS) and static playlists. Some older files like MP3 were blanked out. Anything on the streaming side was fine just the local library on both my Mac and iPhone were messed up. I reverted to no sync and left the downloaded library on my Mac. I suppose when I travel I may sync a few playlists to work say on a flight. Oh well.

Anyone find a way to fix this? Not hopeful as I searched a bit...

Cassandle

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2020
Surprised others haven’t commented on this. It’s a constant irritation for me using Apple Music. I ripped a few hundred CDs years ago - back in the iTunes days, only to find that Apple Music either changes the song metadata (moving a song off the actual album and putting it in a compilation somewhere else) or just makes certain songs unavailable for playback.

It’s particularly an issue with more unusual CDs, such as my Beatles in Mono collection, which Apple Music kept trying to change to stereo versions. One day I’ll get round to re-ripping these CDs (many of them I only ripped to MP3 rather than CD lossless) and store them far away from Apple Music so I can listen to the music I own.

Reactions: decafjava

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well, I gave up and just synced my library manually through Finder on my Mac. I still use the Music app on my iPhone and Mac but use them separately through the app. Stream when I have internet access and if for example I am say on a plane I can listen to my library with ease. Sorry you have problems with your rare CDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.