Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Just upgraded to Big Sur, everything works fine, except for Apple Music : on the 'Listen Now' page, I get 'An error occurred, try again'.
Have logged out and back in, rebooted, no go...

ParaShot

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2016
Ankara, Turkey
I also just updated to Big Sur. My macbook suddenly cant see my family sharing?! I can listen all the music on my other products such as iPad or iPhone. But even if I'm on the same account my mac can't recognize I'm on Family Sharing and asks me to subscribe to a music program?

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe

selfoss

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
I have this issue too, on Big Sur only (works on iOS). I guess it's a widespread bug.

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I have the issue on my Mac Pro (Big Sur 11.0.1), my iPhone (iOS 14.2), or my iPad Pro (iPadOS 14.2)...

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Also the same problem with Mac (Big Sur) and online, iPhone works as expected.

Jentl

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2020
Called Apple Support yesterday. Talked with them all day. Tried loads of stuff. Resetting nvram, reinstalling big sur, deleting a ton of (cache) files, ... . Had to collect some information and they sent it to Apple engineers. They will contact me back on wednesday. I'll keep this post updated.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Dr. McKay and jef82

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Called Apple Support yesterday. Talked with them all day. Tried loads of stuff. Resetting nvram, reinstalling big sur, deleting a ton of (cache) files, ... . Had to collect some information and they sent it to Apple engineers. They will contact me back on wednesday. I'll keep this post updated.
Did you find a solution?

RickyVT

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2020
I fixed this by logging out of my Music (iTunes) account, stopping Music, starting it back again and logging back in... (on Mac mini)

Killerbob

macrumors 68000
Jan 25, 2008
I was really frustrated by this, so much that I eventually logged out of Music on my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad and iPhones. Then I started from one end, actually with music.apple.com and logged in again, and let the respective systems do the Genius sync.

Now it's been a few days, and Listen Now works on ALL units...

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
I was really frustrated by this, so much that I eventually logged out of Music on my Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iPad and iPhones. Then I started from one end, actually with music.apple.com and logged in again, and let the respective systems do the Genius sync.

Now it's been a few days, and Listen Now works on ALL units...

Well, haven't tried that, logging out of all my devices. Will try that tomorrow. Thanks for the advice !

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Tried Killerbob's suggestion, logged out of iCloud and Apple Music on all my devices, still no luck...
Works without problems on my iPad and iPhone (both latest version of iOS, all updates installed), and also works perfectly on my iMac with Catalina.
On my MacBook Pro with Big Sur and on music.apple.com, I still get 'An error occurred' message...

Very frustrating.
@Jentl : any news from Apple support ?

grumpzzz

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2018
Belgium
Just tried this again (Macbook Pro 2017, Big Sur 11.0.1): logged off, stopped Music, re-started Music and logged on > "Listen now" works.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Just tried this again (Macbook Pro 2017, Big Sur 11.0.1): logged off, stopped Music, re-started Music and logged on > "Listen now" works.

Tried that, too, worked, the first time. After quitting Apple music again and restarting it, it was back to the same 'an error occurred'...

jookornvdb

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2020
Here more of the same, listen now not working. Logging of and back in works but after a restart it doesn't anymore.
But once I have dragged the 'Chill mix', 'Favorite mix' from Apple Music in the left column and via this 'short cut' I just can lister to those mixes not 'the solution' of course but still.

jef82

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2011
Same with me, works with this fix but after a restart it's all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.