Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nmart1214

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2017
I don’t think it’s due to the same reason but I was able to access Crunchyroll premium for years on my Apple TV with no subscription. I would press “restore purchase” and it would error out and kick me into the main library where I could watch anything. They only fixed it about 4 months ago. The App Store and subscriptions have their weird quirks so it *might* be related.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

JimBanville

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
So we checked my gf’s plan since she has also been getting Apple Music “free” like I have for the last few years and turns out she has the Beyond Unlimited, which includes Apple Music. She has a $10 charge on her bill that is crossed out. It’s in the perks section of her bill. I don’t have a perks section on my bill.
Still doesn’t answer why I get it. She isn’t sharing it with me as far as I can tell.
Sadly, she signed a new plan for the iPhone 15 she just got so she’ll likely loose the Apple Music and have to start paying for it.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I want to get the iPhone 15, but I’ll have to change my plan and even though the ppl at the Verizon store say my Apple Music isn’t coming from them, I’m concerned changing my plan my trigger something and cut it off.
This is why I’m trying to figure out why I’m getting it for free all this time.
Getting Music for free (potentially) in perpetuity is worth way more than a new iPhone.

Why do you have to change your plan? Can't you just buy the iPhone cash and move your current plan over?

Reactions: msackey

JimBanville

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Getting Music for free (potentially) in perpetuity is worth way more than a new iPhone.

Why do you have to change your plan? Can't you just buy the iPhone cash and move your current plan over?
Lol Thanks for the reply but I’ve answered this several times already.
$700 trade in for a 4 yr old iPhone 11 with plan “upgrade”. The upgraded plans are actually comatose ke to what I have…except for the free Apple Music that Verizon says I don’t even have on my plan.

Reactions: izzy0242mr

JimBanville

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
OP, why are you concerned about losing Apple Music if you get a new phone and plan? You aren't paying for it now. You aren't entitled to free music.

Lol. I have no idea at this point why I’ve been getting it. That’s what I’ve been trying to figure out. I thought it was part of my plan (like my gf’s plan…who bought her phone around the same time I did). Especially since Verizon made 6 month Apple Music trials into permanent perks on some of their unlimited plans around the same time. It’s been so long I didn’t know if it was some part of another deal I signed up for. Like cable or other service where it was thrown in as a perk. Do YOU know why I’ve been getting it? No? Then why are you concerned? Lol.
In what other industry are the plans constantly being renamed and revamped? I’m convinced they do it to confuse consumers. God forbid a customer fall through their spiderweb of confusion and get a perk that isn’t actually costing them a dime. Lol!!

Last edited:

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
OP, why are you concerned about losing Apple Music if you get a new phone and plan? You aren't paying for it now. You aren't entitled to free music.
Same thought. They can also forgo the $700 trade-in value and just buy the phone outright, etc. if they worry about losing this music access.

JimBanville

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Same thought. They can also forgo the $700 trade-in value and just buy the phone outright, etc. if they worry about losing this music access.

Lots of folks carrying Verizon’s water on this site. Lol. I can understand since they’re such a customer friendly company. You’d never guess they’re a company that constantly changes terms and steadily raises prices in the “contracts” and unlimited plans to make them as limited as legally possible. Lol. Too bad we can’t screw them the way they screw us, right? Or can we…? Hmmm….

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
if you read a couple posts back, they’re giving me a $700 credit if I trade in the iPhone 11 from 2019, and I change plans. The plans are not wildly different, nor much more expensive than what I’m paying now.
They’ll only give me $130 (or close to that) for the 11 if I don’t change plans. I wouldn’t get much more than that selling it privately, so the $700 is a huge incentive.
I used to have the old truly unlimited plan that Verizon was trying to get ppl off of, but there isn’t anything special about my current plan other than this potentially free Apple Music “glitch”, that they claim they aren’t even aware of.
I missed that.

Well, $570 (the difference) buys you about 4.7 years of Apple Music. I guess it's a matter of how much you use it?

But I realize that isn't your question. My best guess would be that it is a perk of your Verizon plan, and you'll lose it when you upgrade. But only one way to find out.

Let us know what you decide—and what happens! Wishing you luck and favor from the Apple gods.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
OP never said he's entitled to it, nor is that his attitude at all in any of these posts. He's simply wanting to make the best financial decision for the long-term. That's it.

Don't project your dislike of non-OP people's attitudes of entitlement onto him.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
OP never said he's entitled to it, nor is that his attitude at all in any of these posts. He's simply wanting to make the best financial decision for the long-term. That's it.

Don't project your dislike of non-OP people's attitudes of entitlement onto him.
The OP wants to keep getting it for free.

“ concerned changing my plan my trigger something and cut it off.”

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
The OP wants to keep getting it for free.

“ concerned changing my plan my trigger something and cut it off.”
Yes. But that's not an attitude of entitlement.

He's trying to figure out what the most financially wise move is. The only people who voluntarily choose to give money away when they have a potential option to not spend that money are (a) the ultra rich, (b) financially irresponsible people (aka many Americans), and (c) shills for corporations.

Entitlement would be "I upgraded my plan, Verizon took away my free perk, and I'm mad! Verizon is evil!" That's entitlement. And that isn't what is happening here.

JimBanville

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
Bought and setup my new iPhone 15 pro max with new $80 unlimited plan. Still getting Apple Music “free”. AM isn’t showing up on my phone’s subs nor is it a perk on my phone plan. I had 3 trial items in my settings. 3 mo. news, 3 mo. arcade, and 3 mo. fitness. No mention of AM.

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Bought and setup my new iPhone 15 pro max with new $80 unlimited plan. Still getting Apple Music “free”. AM isn’t showing up on my phone’s subs nor is it a perk on my phone plan. I had 3 trial items in my settings. 3 mo. news, 3 mo. arcade, and 3 mo. fitness. No mention of AM.
What is interesting about that is you should be seeing it as a trial item or an option (I have it)...so maybe it really is a freebie with your Verizon Wireless account for some reason. Take the win. :)

Reactions: JimBanville

JimBanville

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2014
What is interesting about that is you should be seeing it as a trial item or an option (I have it)...so maybe it really is a freebie with your Verizon Wireless account for some reason. Take the win. :)
Oh I’m definitely winning for getting it free these last 4 yrs. Lol. Just super curious as to why. Just my nature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.