Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Really what is so hard for Apple to recommend new music that is not explicit. I don't listen to any explicit music and the new music I listen to is actually Oldies, 80's & 90's R&B, Salsa, Christian and Smooth Jazz yet every week when I check the new music I see explicit hip hop as recommendations.

Really if it is not going to bother recommending clean music or any music I would remotely like then I should be able to hide this useless feature as I am better off browsing the Christian and Jazz sections on my own to find good clean new music.

However The Favorites Mix is accurate and even the new Chill Mix has some songs I like as it seems once a month it recommends some good 90's R&B.

Attachments

• 2017-12-29_170733.jpg
    2017-12-29_170733.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 217
  • 2017-12-29_170817.jpg
    2017-12-29_170817.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I already have explicit content checked on turned on. It grays out the tracks my problem is that I never listen to hip hop yet it keeps recommending its new music. I listen to new Christian music sometimes and it had the nerve to recommend a track Anointed that is explicit rap. So it just goes by the title not the content. This week it recommended an explicit track man praying on the cover but it is again expect rap with the PA warning on the right corner. Once again my favorites and chill mix recommended good music.

One good thing is the for you section put the useless New Music at the end. Just wish I can hide it for good.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Okay I thumbs up some christian and jazz albums. The new music mix this week is worse than last week. It recommend more rap even one track with the s-word in it which is grayed out. I am done. I am not even going to worry about it anymore. If I want to find new clean good music I will go into the christian and jazz categories myself.
[doublepost=1515190016][/doublepost]
Let me guess someone will complain that my explicit music turned clean. Hello I want clean music what is so freaking hard about these services.

rufas2000

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2017
I think the "new music" is not person specific recommendations (something akin to "Release Radar" on Spotify) but rather a Apple Music created playlist that highlights what they think is the best new music of the week.

Spotify's "New Music Friday" (the Spotify version of what I think Apple's New Music playlist is) is no better when it comes to explicit lyrics. That's just what the kids are into these days.

Reactions: bilibug and tonyr6

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I've had a lot of hiphop in the beginning as well, but after loving/disliking a lot, I must say my New Music list is rather accurate these days, no hiphop whatsoever to be found. So I do think it's person specific but you gotta put some work in to get it accurate.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I've had a lot of hiphop in the beginning as well, but after loving/disliking a lot, I must say my New Music list is rather accurate these days, no hiphop whatsoever to be found. So I do think it's person specific but you gotta put some work in to get it accurate.
For a while the New Music mix recommended much new smooth jazz which I loved but the past couple of months it has all been hip hop rap and my listening habits have not changed since.

The only thing I can think of is when the new music mix disappeared one week and I was having massive problems with the For You section locking up iTunes when I could not click on anything all I got was a spinning circle. Since it fixed itself a few times it creep up my New Music mix has been terrible every since.

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I would welcome some advice....I sprung for Apple One for the amenities, leaving Spotify or whatever it was I was using before. I go to the gym, like listening to oldies from the late 60s and 70s. So far, all the oldies I have found on Apple Music are, for example, Respect done as hip-hop, Born to be Wild done as hip-hop, etc. I would love to be able to tune in to The Band, Iron Butterfly, The Doors, etc. and not to some hip-hop from this century.
Has anyone found a compilation of actual oldies for workouts? I'm definitely an old fogey, but I know what I like!

ckuttner

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Portland, OR
I can understand why...it worked better for me. But now that I'm pouring all this money into Apple One, I'd love to find a way for it to work for me.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
the new music I listen to is actually Oldies, 80's & 90's R&B, Salsa, Christian and Smooth Jazz yet every week when I check the new music I see explicit hip hop as recommendations.
My music is primarily smooth jazz and rock... and I don't get hip hop recommendations at all. My problem is any smooth jazz adjacent music just gets the same ~100 songs over and over. Sometimes you'll get a fresh artist once on a blue moon.

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Apple Music's UI in general is pretty poor and it hasn't changed that much over the years. The main reason I use Apple Music is because it's lossless.

When you look at how good Spotify's UI is in comparison, it makes you wonder why Apple Music is so far behind.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Apple Music really is trash.

With pretty much 100% of my listening history over the past 23 years in my library you’d think Apple would be pretty good at surfacing stuff I want to listen to.

My all time favorite artist, by number of positive ratings, number of favorite stars, play count and total hours played, released a new album. Apple Music didn’t think to inform me, deciding instead that I’d probably prefer to enjoy some Kanye nonsense.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.