Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Hello there

I’m trying to find a solution for the neighbours. They have a subscription to Apple Music and a hifi system from 20 years ago with plenty of outputs.

I’m looking for a small device to plug it via optical that let them use Apple Music on their system.

What type or the name of the device would be?

Any suggestions?

Ideally, something we can plug and control via the iPhone would be great.

Reactions: LCC0256

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I use the discontinued Airport Express for this purpose and it works for me. I start and manage playback on my phone or iPad and then use AirPlay to send the sound to the Airport Express connected to the stereo.

An AirPlay receiver device like the Belkin Soundform Connect would work that way also.

Reactions: LCC0256

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks. Looks like the Belkin doesn’t play hi-res.

I might need to go look for a Blusound but that sounds expensive. Any other alternatives, by any chance?

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
Do you mean the stereo has many inputs, including optical in? And you want an Apple Music source with an optical out?

I have used two options for this.

Older generations Apple TV devices had optical out, but you are limited to 16/48. Also if you are browsing on your device whilst casting via Airplay, sometimes the device will randomly switch from your music to play an advertising video or something - very annoying.

There is also the iFi Zen Stream that can be streamed to by phone / iPad and output full hi-res via optical. This device works very well but is a bit pricey.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Absolutely, I would need something to plug via optical to a "classic" amp to play Apple Music in hi-res and controllable by iPhone. Not sure it exists...

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
IFI Zen Stream would need to be wired via cck and USB for hi res, but you can Airplay to it for 16/48. Where is your DAC - part of the stereo or do you need a DAC in the loop too?

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
Yes. I had assumed you had a DAC in the loop when suggesting the Zen Stream.

But I’m confused by your setup. If the amp has an optical in, which is a digital input, then it surely must have an onboard DAC else how does it generate an analogue signal?

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
It has a DAC, indeed. But I just need a “box” to connect to it in order to play Apple Music. Hope that makes sense.

gigatoaster

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 22, 2018
France
Thanks for sharing this article. Bottom line: it is useless to look for hi-res. Therefore, I am changing a little bit my request: how to play Apple Music on a device connected to a "classic amp"? Would a simple Bluetooth receiver do it, then?

BellSystem

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2022
Boston, MA
Thanks for sharing this article. Bottom line: it is useless to look for hi-res. Therefore, I am changing a little bit my request: how to play Apple Music on a device connected to a "classic amp"? Would a simple Bluetooth receiver do it, then?

That is the one I have used in this application before. Got it off eBay. Has the optical connection I need and was reliable. Looks better with a nice setup than some random cheap adapter from Amazon.

Last edited:

Mr Mann

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2020
Plug your iPhone/iPad into your amp using this
Lightning to 3.5mm Headphone Jack Adapter

1661596226036.png

and this

3.5mm to 2 RCA Audio Cable 3 ft,Yeung Qee Nylon Braided 3.5mm Male to 2RCA Male Stereo Audio Y Adapter Cable AUX RCA Splitter Cord Compatible with Smartphones, MP3, Tablets, Speakers, HDTV (3FT/1M)

It sounds very good, and you get up to 24 bit 48 kHz (the equivalent of Airplay 2).

Reactions: ssmed

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
That’s great and the cheapest. Thanks a lot for the suggestion

That's a good solution, but give some more thought to having them pick up a used 3rd Gen AppleTV. I picked mine up for about $30, and the convenience of being able to use AirPlay to connect to my amp is pretty great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.