Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoyo2222

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 2, 2023
I pulled out my iPad 2 (iOS 9.3.5) to use as a music server. I turned on Apple Music and iCloud Library (I also have iTunes Match). I can see my entire my entire music library on the iPad but only some of the tracks are able to play. When I select any of the greyed out tracks I get the message "Item not available. This item can't be played". All those playable tracks are Apple Music tracks but not every Apple Music track is playable.

So, I pulled out my old iPhone 4s (iOS 9.3.6). Same routine and same situation. Again only some of my Apple Music tracks are playable.

On the iPhone I put it in DFU mode and set it up as a new phone. I then signed into iCloud and again activated Apple Music and iCloud Library. No change.

I also pulled out an old iPhone 5 (iOS 10.3.4). It is able to play my entire iCloud Library and Apple Music without difficulty.

I really want to use the Pad 2 or iPhone 4s because I have a Philips portable with a 30 Pin dock connector.

Any suggestions of something I've missed?

Falcon16

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2015
Probably you're at a point where iOS 9 isn't supported any more for Apple Music.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.