Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Is there no way to sign into the same Apple Music account on two devices that have separate Apple IDs?

My family has been on Amazon Music, and we're converting to Apple Music. We already pay for the family plan, so the number of devices isn't an issue.

However, on Amazon Music, we literally all just share the same account, and we all have our playlists there together for each of us to see/use as we see fit.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, since we all have our own Apple ID's, there's no way to do this on Apple Music. Is that true?

Thanks for any input.

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Family sharing, as above. I have four other people using what is basically my Apple Music account.

Yes I have that setup already. However when my son, for example, loads up Apple Music, he doesn’t see any of our library or playlists because it’s under his own Apple ID (which is a member of the family). We want to be able to have everybody using the same Apple Music, so to speak, so when I update a playlist, it updates on their devices as well. We don’t want to have five separate “versions” of Apple Music. And I can’t seem to have him log into Apple Music with my Apple ID because Apple Music is tied to the primary Apple ID for the device.

Hopefully that makes sense. Maybe I’m still missing something obvious.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Yes, this can be done, but it will change the account for all media and App Store purchases.

On each device, go to Settings>Apple ID>Media & Purchases

Sign out, then sign back in using the ‘not this user…’ option or however it’s phrased. Enter the account info you want to share then you’re done. Everyone will retain their own Apple ID, but will be sharing the same media and App Library.

Reactions: jntdroid

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Ah I get it.
You want the polar opposite of what most people want: one shared playlist between everyone using your Apple Music account.

Does this help? :

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/share-a-playlist-on-apple-music/

NB I've only googled, I've not tried it. My sons wouldn't be seen dead listening to most music on my playlists.

Correct. This is my fallback option. But maybe it’s just time to split them up anyway. Fortunately my kids do share some similar musical interests, but definitely not all! ?

jntdroid

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Yes, this can be done, but it will change the account for all media and App Store purchases.

On each device, go to Settings>Apple ID>Media & Purchases

Sign out, then sign back in using the ‘not this user…’ option or however it’s phrased. Enter the account info you want to share then you’re done. Everyone will retain their own Apple ID, but will be sharing the same media and App Library.

I guess this won’t cause any issues. That should still keep us under the 10 device limit per ID. And sharing the same apps isn’t an issue either unless we run into any app limits there (though we don’t have many common apps anyway). And sharing movies, etc, would work as well. I was just worried this would mess up other areas of iOS, but it doesn’t sound like it will. Thanks for this.

Reactions: pup
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.