Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
When On A Plane: I listen to self-curated Playlists exclusively, so I have the Apple Music option checked to 'download in Spatial Audio'. Sounds great on my AirPods Pro. The downloaded content plays in Spatial Audio over my AirPods on my long flights.

When In A Car: I don't have a system with Atmos/Spatial capability so I just want to hear the Stereo mix in the best lossy quality.

Question: So when I am playing one of my curated Playlists in my non-Atmos car, what exactly am I listening to? Is it:

1. The downloaded Spatial Audio files that are being downgraded to Stereo?

2. A streamed Stereo file that is replacing the Spatial Audio files I downloaded?

3. Something else?

What I'm trying to determine is if I can have my cake and eat it too, can I download Spatial Audio files for AirPod Pro listening when streaming isn't possible and still wind up with the best sounding lossy Stereo possible while using CarPlay. Anyone know? Thanks.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
You can toggle Dolby Atmos in your iPhone settings to Automatic - Always on - Off. If you try this after disconnecting from the internet, you will find that downloaded music can be both in regular stereo as well as Dolby Atmos. I'm therefore assuming it saves two versions.

On the Always setting it is my understanding from the pop-up that it will force Dolby Atmos no matter if the connected speakers are compatible or not. So you don't want that in your car. Also something you could try by toggling on and off (you may need to reselect a track).

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
You can toggle Dolby Atmos in your iPhone settings to Automatic - Always on - Off. If you try this after disconnecting from the internet, you will find that downloaded music can be both in regular stereo as well as Dolby Atmos. I'm therefore assuming it saves two versions.

On the Always setting it is my understanding from the pop-up that it will force Dolby Atmos no matter if the connected speakers are compatible or not. So you don't want that in your car. Also something you could try by toggling on and off (you may need to reselect a track).
Thanks! So you’re saying if I stay on “automatic” I should have Atmos when I want it (AirPods) and Stereo when I want it (CarPlay) and that’s that. Yes?

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Thanks! So you’re saying if I stay on “automatic” I should have Atmos when I want it (AirPods) and Stereo when I want it (CarPlay) and that’s that. Yes?
Yes it should work like that.

I also found this bit of info to confirm part of my previous answer:

How can I listen to the stereo version of a song that’s downloaded in Dolby Atmos?​

When you download a Dolby Atmos version of a song, a stereo version of the song is downloaded too. To listen to the stereo version of a song, just turn off Dolby Atmos in Settings, then play the song.

More here:

Reactions: boltjames

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010

Stuey3D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2014
Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
So if you have Dolby Atmos set to Always On like I do then any headphones you connect will get the Atmos versions, however if you connect Apple CarPlay then the stereo version plays. If you are connecting to a car stereo via bluetooth then you have to go into the bluetooth menu and tell the iPhone that the connected device is a car stereo and with that toggled the bluetooth car stereo will also only get the stereo mix.

Reactions: boltjames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.