Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boltjames

macrumors 601
Original poster
May 2, 2010
When On A Plane: I listen to self-curated Playlists exclusively, so I have the Apple Music option checked to 'download in Spatial Audio'. Sounds great on my AirPods Pro. The downloaded content plays in Spatial Audio over my AirPods on my long flights.

When In A Car: I don't have a system with Atmos/Spatial capability so I just want to hear the Stereo mix in the best lossy quality.

Question: So when I am playing one of my curated Playlists in my non-Atmos car, what exactly am I listening to? Is it:

1. The downloaded Spatial Audio files that are being downgraded to Stereo?

2. A streamed Stereo file that is replacing the Spatial Audio files I downloaded?

3. Something else?

What I'm trying to determine is if I can have my cake and eat it too, can I download Spatial Audio files for AirPod Pro listening when streaming isn't possible and still wind up with the best sounding lossy Stereo possible while using CarPlay. I don't want a lesser-sounding experience in the car because I get the superior listening experience over AirPods. Anyone know? Thanks.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You car likely doesn't have Atmos decoding chips/hardware.

All downloaded audio files also contains the stereo mix (AAC and lossless if you have selected).

Screenshot 2023-06-08 at 1.20.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: boltjames
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.