Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
I have an issue with Apple Music on my iPhone. I've put the songs in a specific order in iTunes playlist and it seems to be completely randomly changed in the music app.
Do you have any ideas how to fix this?

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Are you using regular playlist?
What do you mean by "regular"? It's not smart playlist, if that's your question. Just like I've been using it since the release of Apple Music, but this problem occurs after installing the update.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
What do you mean by "regular"? It's not smart playlist, if that's your question. Just like I've been using it since the release of Apple Music, but this problem occurs after installing the update.
Uh, yes. What I want to know is if your playlist is smart playlist.
Are those playlists created by yourself? My local regular playlists are in the order I want, they never change.

nortonandreev

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 11, 2016
Europe
Uh, yes. What I want to know is if your playlist is smart playlist.
Are those playlists created by yourself? My local regular playlists are in the order I want, they never change.
Yeah, they're created by me. What's more, I mad a new one after installing the GM builds and the problem is present even with the new playlist.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Unfortunately Playlists on the iOS device are 'stick' in the order in which the tracks were added to the Playlist and can't be sorted like in iTunes.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Yeah, they're created by me. What's more, I mad a new one after installing the GM builds and the problem is present even with the new playlist.
Could you tell me how to reproduce your issue so that I can test on my playlist.
[doublepost=1473511275][/doublepost]
Unfortunately Playlists on the iOS device are 'stick' in the order in which the tracks were added to the Playlist and can't be sorted like in iTunes.
Really? I don't believe.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Really? I don't believe.
Just try it you can know. Go into iTunes and sort a Playlist by Artist alphabetically and then look at it iOS Playlist. It will not change it will be sorted by date added.

1. pic 1 Date Added sorted
  2. pic 2 resorted by Artist
  3. pic 3 iPhone still the same
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%2010.15.22%20AM_zpsi8has0gh.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%2010.16.37%20AM_zpspglxtzkq.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsixs3xuip.jpg

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Just try it you can know. Go into iTunes and sort a Playlist by Artist alphabetically and then look at it iOS Playlist. It will not change it will be sorted by date added.

1. pic 1 Date Added sorted
  2. pic 2 resorted by Artist
  3. pic 3 iPhone still the same
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%2010.15.22%20AM_zpsi8has0gh.jpg

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%2010.16.37%20AM_zpspglxtzkq.jpg

IMG_1267_zpsixs3xuip.jpg
Uh? How you sort does not affect how playlist is displayed on iOS device right?
I thought what you said is iTunes on iOS randomly change songs order each time using app or something else.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Uh? How you sort does not affect how playlist is displayed on iOS device right?
I thought what you said is iTunes on iOS randomly change songs order each time using app or something else.
I was replying to the problem the OP is having and the way in which an iOS 10 Playlist won't match the iTunes Playlist order. It looks like the OP in iTunes is sorting by a different field than the first column (which is the same as track added to Playlist) as shown pic 1. In order for the Playlists order to match he/she must have the iTunes Playlist sorted to the first column/field. There is no way (I know of) to sort the iOS 10 Playlist post and it is fixed to the 'Manual Sort' order.

So if building a Playlist from scratch he/she needs to have iTunes set up to 'Sort by Manual Order' then add the tracks in the order they want and this will sync over to iOS that way. Any Playlist already made are 'stuck' the way they were made.

Screen%20Shot%202016-09-10%20at%204.14.05%20PM_zps7rjdjxiu.jpg

codeman7

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but can anyone else confirm they have these issues? I can reorder a playlist on iOS 10 and it'll just snap back to the order the songs were added. However, on iTunes on my Mac, it'll show the new order I specified in iOS 10. This is maddening!

jagadishrashmi

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
Yes I have an iPhone SE with iOS10 and I have exactly the same problem.
I've looked endlessly at many thread and I've even logged 3 tickets with Apple with no help so far! Super frustrating and very disappointing.
I have a *.mov file to demo this however was not able to attach to the thread!
Please let me know if this every gets solved!!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
All my smart playlists are in the same order. Mind you they weren't from the start. I first in iTunes change the view from playlist to songs. Click the corresponding tab I want to sort it with, let's say recently added. Then I switch back to playlist view and in the menu bar change to sort playlist by recently added.

cswifx

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
I have an issue with Apple Music on my iPhone. I've put the songs in a specific order in iTunes playlist and it seems to be completely randomly changed in the music app.
Do you have any ideas how to fix this?
I sort my playlists by name but on iOS they revert to the initial arrangement, I guess they're independent.

jagadishrashmi

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2017
So I got this finally fixed... after nearly a 6+ months. my husband searched up some thread found a few options
1. Delete the music app and reinstall (did not work for me)
2. Take a backup and restore the iPhone again (long process but DID WORK).
I'm able to manual sort music on my playlist now!! what a relief but no thanks to Apple. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7671950?start=0&tstart=0 I think its worth ... i'm super psyced its working!

The F

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
So I got this finally fixed... after nearly a 6+ months. my husband searched up some thread found a few options
1. Delete the music app and reinstall (did not work for me)
2. Take a backup and restore the iPhone again (long process but DID WORK).
I'm able to manual sort music on my playlist now!! what a relief but no thanks to Apple. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7671950?start=0&tstart=0 I think its worth ... i'm super psyced its working!
Actually all you have to do is delete the playlist on your phone. Then copy the playlist or delete and recreate the list again in iTunes. Resync.

RudySnow

Suspended
Aug 27, 2016
Tyler, TX
Has a solution ever been found to sort songs by artist or title within Playlists in Apple Music? This seems so stupidly basic to do without an iTunes workaround! Please help.

DuduMoreira

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
I found a workaround by creating a new empty playlist (B), ordering the former playlist (A) by whatever column you want to order in your iPhone (Name, for an example), moving the songs from A to B, deleting the songs in A, moving the songs back to B, delete the B playlist. There you go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.