Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a_lew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
I can't imagine that I am the only one that gets extremely frustrated with the way Apple Music runs its queue, or "Play Next," as they call it. I started using Apple Music during iOS 10, and so i totally missed the "Add to Play Next" feature that was available in iOS 9 (according to what i have read).

From what I understand, in iOS 9 you were able to choose a song that you wanted to listen to off the bat, then choose another song and press "Play Next", which would place that second song after the first, but before the other songs that would normally come after the first song. And then if you wanted to continue to add music to the queue after the second song, but still before the rest of the songs that would normally come after the original, first song, you would use the "Add to Up Next" button. This would place those songs after the second chosen songs but BEFORE all the other songs in your library that would normally come after the song that was chosen first. This works great. Basically like Spotify.

So my frustration lies in iOS 10, and not iOS 11. Now here's what happens: You choose a song off the bat. You choose a second song to play after that first song but before the other songs that would normally play after the original song (like the rest of the album, for example). THEN, when you want to add a THIRD song to the queue, there are only 2 options: 1) "Play Next", which will place that third song on the top of the queue, placing it ABOVE the second song that was chosen, and 2) "Play Later", which will place the third song at the BOTTOM of ALL THE SONGS that would originally play after the original song.

Example:
I choose to play Come Together by the Beatles first.
I want to then listen to Scar Tissue by RHCP after Come Together, so i Force Press on the song, choose "Play Next" and it is ready to go.
I then want to listen to A Sky Full of Starts by Cold Play after Scar Tissue. My only two options are "Play Next" and "Play Later". "Play Next" will put A Sky Full of Stars above Scar Tissue. "Play Later" will place A Sky Full of Stars at the end of the original Beatles album, playing the song only after all of the other Beatles songs in the album.
What should happen is that A Sky Full of Stars should be able to be placed after Scar Tissue.

Can anyone give me a fix to this? Or a decent explanation that will mellow out my frustration about it? Or can we start a revolution to get Apple to fix it???

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Sorry, don't have a good answer for this.

Podcasts now works in a similar way, however, Play Later will place before all the other tracks.

What has been happening with Podcasts is that sometimes the Play Next queue gets "confused". When I see that, I will quit the app and re-launch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.