Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Music OR Spotify?

• Total voters

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
Apple Music & Spotify!!

Which one do you use? I currently use Spotify as I've got so many songs on their and i like the dark user interface. I would love to use Apple Music instead of Spotify BUT the reason i don't use Apple Music is because one of my friends told me that when she factory reset her iPhone she lost all of her Apple Music playlists. That instantly put me off Apple Music. Why did that happen? I thought it would all save in the cloud (Like Spotify does) I'm still wanting to stop my Spotify Premium account and use Apple Music but the playlist loss really puts me off. Is there a way to actually save Apple Music Playlists to the cloud so that if anything did happen i could re-download them without no problems?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I use Apple music because they give a slightly bigger cut to the record companies/artists. Also I think Spotify and Pandora are whiney in that they give away their service for free and then complain to the record companies and artists that they can't make any money because they have to pay for the content that they are giving away for free.

Reactions: Fuchal

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
I don't know what happened to your friend's playlists, but they are stored in the cloud, and I've never lost anything because of a factory reset. With iOS 10's new music app, I'm loving Apple Music even more than I did before. I had a rather large iTunes library, and loads of playlists before Apple Music, so the fact that they integrated perfectly with Apple Music meant a lot to me.

JacksonCraig94

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Derbyshire, UK
Sounds like your friend didn't turn Apple Music Library back on after her reset.

Playlists are definitely stored, and accessible on any device of you own.
Thanks for confirming that the playlists are stored in the cloud. I will probably cancel my Spotify Premium account and start using Apple Music.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
I never tried Spotify after hearing the horror story's on there forums with the lack of any parental controls at all.

Too me it seems if you are in the UK and Europe which many here are then they choose Spotify but if you in the US like I am then there are more AM subscribers.

doolittle27

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2016
San Francisco, CA, USA
I have both subscriptions. Couldn't made up my mind so that's how it gotta be, at least for now. Love asking Siri to play me songs I want to hear while the phone is in my pocket, but would use Spotify if I'm on a train or looking at the screen.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I don't know what happened to your friend's playlists, but they are stored in the cloud, and I've never lost anything because of a factory reset. With iOS 10's new music app, I'm loving Apple Music even more than I did before. I had a rather large iTunes library, and loads of playlists before Apple Music, so the fact that they integrated perfectly with Apple Music meant a lot to me.

God iOS 10 makes me want to quit and go back with Google music Which i am still paying for.... That being said Apple music app is growing on me to be tolerable at least...

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
Definitely not liking some of the recent changes to AM. I never liked Spotify and need a service that lets me put my own music in the cloud along side the streaming catalog. Might be going back to Google Music.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
I have both subscriptions. Couldn't made up my mind so that's how it gotta be, at least for now. Love asking Siri to play me songs I want to hear while the phone is in my pocket, but would use Spotify if I'm on a train or looking at the screen.
Same as me, however running sierra with Siri and IOS 10 betas and now GM, I cancelled Spotify, add in the $99 one year Apple Music card made the decision easier.

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Apple Music, but once Pandora comes out with their on-demand streaming competitor later this year, I'm going to give that a shot.

Reactions: Steeley

thiagueirass

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
I've got both. The Spotify's features are amazing and I love the personalized playlists (discovery and radar release). But AM organizes my local files and streaming songs better. I just can't decide for one of them.

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
God iOS 10 makes me want to quit and go back with Google music Which i am still paying for.... That being said Apple music app is growing on me to be tolerable at least...

Wait, iOS 10 is so bad you want to move to Google music, and yet, the Apple music app is growing to be tolerable? You lost me. I think iOS 10's music app is finally usable, a much needed improvement over iOS 9's.

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
Wait, iOS 10 is so bad you want to move to Google music, and yet, the Apple music app is growing to be tolerable? You lost me. I think iOS 10's music app is finally usable, a much needed improvement over iOS 9's.

IOS 10 makes the Apple music app is horrible. It's a mess and by God the worse app out of all of the streaming apps available short of Tidal perhaps. That being said it's tolerable enough I'm still using it...because Google keeps on crashing. Not that difficult to understand.

oneshotpro

Suspended
Aug 13, 2014
currently on spotify, apple music was a mess at launch and I've got two years of spotify through my phone carrier so will be with them until then. Also, prefer the UI/Black Green design and overall ease of use compared to AM. Also, the desktop app is much better than iTunes.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Until AM gets its act together and offers web browser application and integration to A LOT of devices (PS4, TiVo, Car Stereos, Amazon devices suck as Echo, and many others) it just can't compete. If you have to install iTunes to listen to music it's already a fail. Spotify web browser experience is above and beyond any competitor. Their desktop application is way better than iTunes. I still don't get how iTunes is so inferior to other software like Spotify, and it's devolved by a huge company! Blows my mind.

Also needs to offer lossless qualify or something better than what it offers now.

Reactions: tonyr6

ra4oasis

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
IOS 10 makes the Apple music app is horrible. It's a mess and by God the worse app out of all of the streaming apps available short of Tidal perhaps. That being said it's tolerable enough I'm still using it...because Google keeps on crashing. Not that difficult to understand.

I think iOS 9's music app was a muddled mess, but iOS 10's is fantastic, very easy to use and streamlined. My dad, who is not really tech savvy agreed when he upgraded his phone this weekend. To each their own then.

Uofmtiger

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2010
Memphis
Apple Music. I like the new interface, especially the layout of the For You section, the ability to force press for more info, the ability to add or remove stuff from the library page, etc.

The fact that it is interwoven into iOS, it has a lot of advantages on the iPhone/iPad which are the source for most of my music listening. The Siri integration, having Airplay options in the Apple Watch Apple Music app, it interfaces better in my car, and I think the AM app on the AppleTV is easy to use. The only downside, is that it doesn't have anything like Spotify Connect to be able to control the desktop app, but for my needs, it doesn't matter.

The search function in iOS10 adds another degree of usefulness. You can add a widget, which makes it easier to get to your frequently played AM music. The search features in "spotlight" (or whatever they call it now) are awesome. You can play music without evening opening the app.

Personally, I like the way it interacts with my own music collection, too. I have some music not on AM or any other service and I can still access them without leaving the app. At home, the ability to turn on "Home Sharing" means I can substitute in my lossless library.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.