Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Martron

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
So I just joined Apple Music but I have a large digital music library of ~50K songs. A bunch exist on Apple Music, so they can be matched, but a bunch don't. Like, I have all the Beatles albums in Mono. I've manually put music onto my iPhone before I got Apple Music and have only synced my iphone to the service.

I want to sync my library, which is on an external HD, so I can stream my library, like the Beatles Mono albums, on all devices (HomePod apparently doesn't play nice with Airplay if you have Apple Music). It seems that the local files on my iPhone aren't uploaded into iCloud Music Library, it has to be done from a computer.

I believe the best way to do this is to wipe all local mp3s I have manually put on my Iphone, then sync my library on my macbook, so everything shows up on my iPhone again. I've backed up my library file and all my local music files (mp3s, etc.) on another external just in case.

But is that best way to avoid messing with the libraries on my iphone and macbook so I don't get double entries, etc.? Basically, wipe iPhone clean and sync my HD library so it will all show up on iPhone via the cloud?

Reactions: Zedlife64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.