Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Have the backup files on a hard drive (don't use iCloud because Apple sucks at syncing) from an old iPhone that has all my music on it. Can access the files through iExplorer.

Is the only way to put the music on the new iPhone so that it is in the Music app (difficult when Apple uses generic names for apps) to sync it through a computer?

Note: Was doing this through iTunes before, but do not currently have access to THAT Mac.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
When you set up your new iPhone if you hold your old iPhone next to it, you will be given the chance to transfer all settings and data to your iPhone. This will transfer all your music as well. As part of the setup process it asks you if you want to setup and transfer from another iPhone.

It's worth mentioning that Apple used to suck at Syncing. These days iCloud is just as reliable as Dropbox or OneDrive.

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
When you set up your new iPhone if you hold your old iPhone next to it, you will be given the chance to transfer all settings and data to your iPhone. This will transfer all your music as well. As part of the setup process it asks you if you want to setup and transfer from another iPhone.

It's worth mentioning that Apple used to suck at Syncing. These days iCloud is just as reliable as Dropbox or OneDrive.
Agree that is a simple way to do it, but not if the objective is a clean install, so all new devices are setup as "New."

Apple STILL has known issues with syncing to this day -- some left over from the days of MobileMe (contact syncing and Notes having limitations -- which are both MASSIVE). Wish it was fixed by now.

Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. :)

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have been syncing files using iCloud for the last few years. I am a heavy Notes user and never had any problems either. Contacts also Syncs with no problem between my multiple Macs, iPhone and iPad.

As far as transferring your music library from one iPhone to another, then if you don't want to do via Migration or from your Mac that the songs came from in the first place, then your Apple built in options are somewhat limited.

You can do it if you subscribe to iTunes Match (or Apple Music), this enable a sync Library button in the Music App preferences. But I suspect you don't subscribe to iTunes Match.

IMG_0467.jpeg

Apple does not provide an easy way to move your Music Library in mobile devices, presumably to stop friends from coping music between their devices.

I believe there are third party Apps that you can use to do what you want, although it looks like most of them are Mac based.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
You can do it if you subscribe to iTunes Match (or Apple Music), this enable a sync Library button in the Music App preferences. But I suspect you don't subscribe to iTunes Match.
--------
Apple does not provide an easy way to move your Music Library in mobile devices, presumably to stop friends from coping music between their devices.

Struggling with this Music thing myself at this very moment.

There is NO WAY I'm ever going to pay for a "service" so I can transfer MY music to some of MY devices.
I'm now using an iCloud Drive folder, and the Files app on my iPhone to play. Couldn't care less about the Music app.
Thanks Apple, great work on this one 😡

HUGE AL

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I have been syncing files using iCloud for the last few years. I am a heavy Notes user and never had any problems either. Contacts also Syncs with no problem between my multiple Macs, iPhone and iPad.

As far as transferring your music library from one iPhone to another, then if you don't want to do via Migration or from your Mac that the songs came from in the first place, then your Apple built in options are somewhat limited.

View attachment 2034695

I believe there are third party Apps that you can use to do what you want, although it looks like most of them are Mac based.
Count yourself among the lucky ones as the syncing issues are COMMONLY known to Engineering and they have done nothing about it since inception. When they released the version of iTunes to allow back the option to sync via Mac and it stopped working, Engineering's response was, "Why don't they just sync through iCloud? Oh, yes, we know it doesn't always work." :rolleyes:

iTunes Match isn't an option as all the music is in ALAC format. And then you have:

:)

DO appreciate your help, though. 👍
Struggling with this Music thing myself at this very moment.

There is NO WAY I'm ever going to pay for a "service" so I can transfer MY music to some of MY devices.
I'm now using an iCloud Drive folder, and the Files app on my iPhone to play. Couldn't care less about the Music app.
Thanks Apple, great work on this one 😡
LOL Completely understand your anger. 😂

Like why does Apple brag that they now support FLAC on iPhones, but NOT in the Music app??? :rolleyes:🤦‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.