Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I recently got the Apple Watch Ultra 2. I have noticed that the Spotify app on it isn't great. Despite having downloaded songs to the watch, it still cuts out sometimes and I'm not exactly sure why. Recently it happened when my phone was in range and it seemed like it kept trying to connect back to the phone which was pretty disruptive to my workout. I'm wondering if Apple Music is any better on an Apple Watch. I'm curious what other people's experiences are using an Apple Watch with Spotify and Apple Music. I suspect Apple Music might be better on the Apple Watch since it is Apple, but maybe I'm wrong. I have found the Podcasts app to work well on the Apple Watch.

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
I recently got the Apple Watch Ultra 2. I have noticed that the Spotify app on it isn't great. Despite having downloaded songs to the watch, it still cuts out sometimes and I'm not exactly sure why. Recently it happened when my phone was in range and it seemed like it kept trying to connect back to the phone which was pretty disruptive to my workout. I'm wondering if Apple Music is any better on an Apple Watch. I'm curious what other people's experiences are using an Apple Watch with Spotify and Apple Music. I suspect Apple Music might be better on the Apple Watch since it is Apple, but maybe I'm wrong. I have found the Podcasts app to work well on the Apple Watch.
I have Spotify Premium, and also Apple Music (free trial)

Sportify downloads don't work on my AW, but Apple Music works flawlessly

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Spotify doesn't get on with bluetooth.

For downloads, open Spotify on the watch and the phone, then turn off bluetooth from Settings to force the watch to connect over wifi, then download. That works well.

Listening to music I've found the same thing - disable the bluetooth connection to the phone and that will stop it trying to switch between devices.

onFIRE

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Since I don't have an Apple Music subscription, I tried using Apple Music with the songs that I purchased on iTunes a long time ago. I streamed songs and I downloaded some to my AWU2 and the app works so much better than Spotify. I like that there is a loading indicator for when a song is streaming. I probably won't switch to Apple Music because the recommendations weren't very good last time I used it, but what I'll probably do is just pay for my favorite songs from iTunes for the times I listen to music from the watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.