Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
  • Do away with having multiple versions of the same album (ex. 'deluxe editions')
    • This way of releasing albums is an outdated business model stuck in the CD era, and pointless in all-digital music streaming.
  • Do away with 'Greatest Hits' albums, and have Apple Music's artist 'Essentials' playlists take their place.
    • Again this way of releasing albums is outdated and pointless in an all digital streaming platform, where you can access any song in seconds. Plus, Apple can always keep the new 'Essentials' playlist updated with new classics as they come out.
  • Have a universal option in settings to have Apple Music only show you the 'Explicit' or 'Clean' versions of any album.
    • So you don't click on the wrong version of your liking, plus is frees up clutter when browsing.
  • If a new 'Remastered' version of an album comes out, have it take the place of the old one.
    • Again, gets rid of having duplicates of the same album, and you always get the best sounding version (insert opinion here) without having to hunt it down.

Last edited:
Reactions: 210

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
It mostly depends on how the songs were submitted by the author. If they submitted two separate albums with 2-3 songs difference, that's who they will appear at streaming platforms. I doubt Apple would have the time to clean up these kinds of things.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
It mostly depends on how the songs were submitted by the author. If they submitted two separate albums with 2-3 songs difference, that's who they will appear at streaming platforms. I doubt Apple would have the time to clean up these kinds of things.
Apple was able to do in-house or ask the studios to change the cover art for movies and tv shows in the new TV.app.

I think they would have the ability here.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
For those of us who are album focused rather than song focused, there is often a big difference between the "regular" album and the "deluxe" album. There can be twice as many (or more) songs on the deluxe one. Demos, live tracks, multiple takes etc. Having the choice to choose between the two is good in my opinion.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
For those of us who are album focused rather than song focused, there is often a big difference between the "regular" album and the "deluxe" album. There can be twice as many (or more) songs on the deluxe one. Demos, live tracks, multiple takes etc. Having the choice to choose between the two is good in my opinion.
Okay? Put those in their own section on the Artist page of Apple Music.
Having multiples of the same album is just ridiculous.

Do we really need Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' in 3 different albums?
Rumours
Rumours (Deluxe)
Rumours (Super Deluxe)

Really?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Okay? Put those in their own section on the Artist page of Apple Music.
Having multiples of the same album is just ridiculous.

Do we really need Fleetwood Mac's 'Rumours' in 3 different albums?
Rumours
Rumours (Deluxe)
Rumours (Super Deluxe)

Really?
What is your problem with giving consumers more choice? The "basic" album is the original set of songs. The deluxe contains a variety of extras (live takes etc.) and the super deluxe contains more than the deluxe. Choose the one you want. Quite simple.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
What is your problem with giving consumers more choice? The "basic" album is the original set of songs. The deluxe contains a variety of extras (live takes etc.) and the super deluxe contains more than the deluxe. Choose the one you want. Quite simple.
Can't wait for iTunes to start selling the "basic" version of the movie, and separately selling the "deluxe" version with deleted scenes and director commentary.

When I have a song from an album (Rumours "basic" version) already in my Library; lets say 'Dreams', then I simply ask Siri to add 'Go Your Own Way' to my Library, and it adds the version from the "deluxe" version of Rumours. Now in my Library I have two versions of the same album.

See my argument now?

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Can't wait for iTunes to start selling the "basic" version of the movie, and separately selling the "deluxe" version with deleted scenes and director commentary.

When I have a song from an album (Rumours "basic" version) already in my Library; lets say 'Dreams', then I simply ask Siri to add 'Go Your Own Way' to my Library, and it adds the version from the "deluxe" version of Rumours. Now in my Library I have two versions of the same album.

See my argument now?
Well, it seems using Siri is your main problem. I never have used Siri and don't plan to. I guess you will have to manually select and add songs to your library.

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 14, 2012
Well, it seems using Siri is your main problem. I never have used Siri and don't plan to. I guess you will have to manually select and add songs to your library.
Not only Siri. That same scenario occurs when Apple Music recommends you a song.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
I completely agree with TrettonY. The clutter of the same songs in different albums/greatest hits/compilations/remasters makes it a nightmare to search for a particular song with a common title. I wish I could search with title and artist, but it only allows song title. Many times I hear a song which I know is a cover but don't know the artist. Trying to find other artists who have covered that song because it is buried under the original artist's song featured in multiple albums/compilations.

Apple Music is a mess to find what you want but also the UI of the app. I wish Apple Music actually listen to feedback rather than listen to people who rarely use the app and it's all about cosmetic appearances, rather than usability.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.