Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Personally, I think one of the biggest selling points for the AVP is immersive video. But there's just not enough content. The obvious solution would be to provide a way for people who are creating spatial video content on their AVP's and latest generation iPhones, as well as 180/360 degree immersive video, to share that content with other AVP owners (and not just friends and family). It turns out that this type of content has been available on YouTube for quite some time, but I understand it hasn't neessarily been easy for members of the Apple/iDevice ecosystem to access this content. But the introduction of the AVP creates, in my view, a compelling need for a dedicated YouTube AVP app that provides AVP owners access to this supply of VR content. I understand that Apple wants to maintain quality control. And yes, a lot of the VR content on YouTube probably isn't up to Apple's technical standards. But I think it's in Apple's interest to suppor the VR hobbyist community that is generating this material. Because I just don't see a lot of production companies making significant investments in generating professional VR content with the AVP audience being so small.

gerald.d

Cancelled
Oct 20, 2007
I would rather see a video platform other than YouTube for viewing this content.

Interesting interview with Canon recently about VP content:

Very interesting comments from Canon, worth crunching a few numbers on what he said...

One problem here is the aspect ratio of existing sensors is not ideal for capturing VR content. The need to project two image circles onto the sensor (such as is provided by the Canon 5.2mm dual fisheye) means that you are wasting quite a bit of potential resolution with a sensor that has a 3:2 aspect ratio. The horizontal resolution of the sensor is 8192 pixels, which means each image circle is limited to 4096 pixels if you want to squeeze two of them on there. With the vertical resolution being 5464, you're throwing away 20% of the sensor.

As I understand it, the Vision Pro's horizontal field of view is something around 105 degrees, and the sensors are 3660x3200 resolution. Assuming you want 180 degrees of horizontal FoV for your immersive video, that implies a source resolution of 3660/105*180 = 6,270 pixels.

The Canon R5C is actually close to being able to provide this at 60FPS already. It's vertical resolution is 5464 pixels remember. So, rather than using the dual fisheye on a single camera, simply use two cameras with a 8mm fisheye lenses that will render 180 degree image circles on the full height of the sensors.

Given the loss of quality between the AVP display chips and the eye due to the optics involved, I would strongly suspect that a dual R5C set-up would be sufficient.

The only slight problem with the two camera solution is that the distance between the centers of the two sensors would be rather large - something of the order of 105mm if my rough measurements are correct (with one camera upside down). Whether that kind of implicit IPD distance could be corrected in post or not I'm not sure, but I suspect it would be possible.

It would be interesting to do some experimentation with a dual R5C/8-15mm fisheye set-up. One thing to remember is that almost all of the immersive content that people will be creating won't have a 180 degree field of view. Neither the iPhone 15 Pro nor the AVP itself get anything close to that. No reason to not create immersive content with "proper" cameras that also is not 180 degrees.

I'm almost tempted to make the investment and have a play around myself 😜

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio

david.olstein

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 28, 2016
Frankly, I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't chosen to supply a platform for sharing spatial videos. Again, I think Apple's focus is and will remain on professional content.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Frankly, I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't chosen to supply a platform for sharing spatial videos. Again, I think Apple's focus is and will remain on professional content.
Yeah, I agree — it would be neat, and it’s possible that something is in the works and maybe it coincides with compact hardware available that can capture high quality spatial video. I’m sure Apple is or will become aware of the enthusiasm over this type of content. And WWDC is coming soon!

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Frankly, I'm disappointed that Apple hasn't chosen to supply a platform for sharing spatial videos.
Currently, a Shared Photo Album allows sharing of photos and videos.
It's even possible to share it as a web page.
Heading: "Invite more people".

Here's a list of supported file types:

Are spatial videos a special file-type? Or are they a supported file-type that has extra spatial data?
If it's the latter, then spatial videos may be sharable using a Shared Photo Album.
The 720p max resolution could be a significant shortcoming, though.

Here's the article on recording spatial videos with iPhone 15 Pro modesl:
You can view spatial videos in two dimensions on any of your other Apple devices and share them just like regular videos.

I don't have an AVP, so I'll leave it for someone else to test this.

Last edited:
Reactions: fatTribble
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.