Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
It takes courage to admit a mistake. Face ID was a mistake. The notch is not going away any time soon because of it.

Face ID is worse than in screen Finger print reader. You don’t save any time because you still have to swipe the screen up in order to reach your Home Screen.

also there is the fact that with face masks, Face ID doesn’t even work so you have to enter your passcode. Horrible.
Face masks are going to be here for the next couple of years, like it or not. I hate the face mask and FaceID experience. Would much prefer under-glass TouchID.

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010

yeah this is a bad take. Face ID is vastly superior to Touch ID in a lot of ways. I assume that we will get touch ID button next gen in addition to Face ID but taking away Face ID would be a huge step backwards.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I wouldn't buy a phone that only had touch id. Face-Id is much more reliable for me and as "bad" as masks may be for some - if you live somewhere you need gloves in the winter is is much more effort and time consuming to take off a glove than to lower the mask a bit or enter your code.

knux11

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
yeah this is a bad take. Face ID is vastly superior to Touch ID in a lot of ways. I assume that we will get touch ID button next gen in addition to Face ID but taking away Face ID would be a huge step backwards.
yeah this is a bad take. Lots of ppl prefer touch id. Lots of ppl prefer face id. Both would be better. the preference of one over the other is subjective so there's no way preferring either one is a "bad take".

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
yeah this is a bad take. Lots of ppl prefer touch id. Lots of ppl prefer face id. Both would be better. the preference of one over the other is subjective so there's no way preferring either one is a "bad take".
OP literally said that Face ID is a mistake. That is 100% a bad take. I liked Touch ID fine but like Face ID much better, either way I welcome a time when we will get both.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
with TouchID I had a 50% success rate, with FaceID it is 95+%, it was NOT a mistake (but of course you are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else).
No-one could foresee a pandemic, and there was no way to add TouchID back into the iPhone 12, design was frozen at least 9 months ago, if they had changed course, we would have had this event in maybe 6 months from now.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Touch ID was terrible in the winter (which in Canada is approximately 40 weeks of the year) because outside you have to remove your gloves to put your finger or thumb on the sensor or.... type in your passcode, just like we have to do with masks now.

I loved Touch ID on my iPhone 7. Now that I have my 11, I'm quite glad I don't have Touch ID any longer.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I like the notch & I like FaceID too.

Maybe iPhone 13 will have FaceID and also TouchID baked into the power button like the latest iPad Air...
You "like" the notch? What does that even mean? You like losing screen real estate? It's one thing to say you don't mind it, or it doesn't hurt your experience, but it's obviously a design compromise until they can put FaceID under the screen.

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
Touch ID was cool when it came out. It has its own set of disadvantages, there is nothing superior about it when comparing the two. Those who prefer Touch ID also prefer the older style phones. Myself, I prefer Face ID, because it is superior in just about every way. I can have wet hands, or a bandaid and have full access to my phone lol. Try that with Touch ID.

As for the notch, it’s better than a bezel any day of the week. On a 6.5 phone you hardly notice the notch anyways because there is sooo much screen underneath it.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
Nah, not a mistake. I definitely preferred it pre-rona. It’s become more difficult now. I’d welcome some new tech that better fit the times, but I don’t really want it to be the old button/Touch ID. I like having the extra screen space.

Reactions: edhchoe

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
If they figure out a way to read your finger when it’s swiping up to unlock the phone that’d be so sick. Bundle that with some sort of facial recognition to unlock notifications and you got the best of both worlds imo. Face unlock and a finger unlock for Plan B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.