Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
I have the chance to buy one locally from an ebay seller, which would we great since shipping is killer. Does anyone have an estimate on how much these are wroth now?

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
I could imagine the shipping! :eek: 70 pounds, last time I checked.

I have a feeling that they're not worth that much. From what I've read, they didn't run Mac OS but AU/X (Apple's old flavor of UNIX.) I wouldn't recommend using AU/X these days as development has stopped and so there are no bugfixes and/or up to date software anymore. Are there any others on eBay? Maybe you could do price comparison.

Sorry to rain on your parade

andypress

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2003
Buffalo, NY
5300cs said:
I could imagine the shipping! :eek: 70 pounds, last time I checked.

I have a feeling that they're not worth that much. From what I've read, they didn't run Mac OS but AU/X (Apple's old flavor of UNIX.) I wouldn't recommend using AU/X these days as development has stopped and so there are no bugfixes and/or up to date software anymore. Are there any others on eBay? Maybe you could do price comparison.

Sorry to rain on your parade
No problem, I jsut wanted one because its rare and it looks cool. I've bought other stuff from this seller, but since there are no other ones on ebay, he wanted to figure out what a fair price is for one.

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Hey, don't let me stop you :)

I wouldn't mind getting one, but I'm always collecting useless old hardware and subsequently having my wife get mad at me.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
5300cs said:
From what I've read, they didn't run Mac OS but AU/X (Apple's old flavor of UNIX.) I wouldn't recommend using AU/X these days as development has stopped and so there are no bugfixes and/or up to date software anymore. Are there any others on eBay? Maybe you could do price comparison.
They don't run A/UX, they run IBM's AIX operating system. These were basically IBM servers packaged as Apple servers. As I recall they came with AIX 4.x which is a very nice operating system for server duties.

If it doesn't come with the system install disks, you shouldn't pay very much for it as you'll end up spending a lot for AIX (specially trying to find a version that will work on that system without issues). Also, a vanilla AIX is not going to come with all the software that that system needs to exist in a Mac friendly environment.

:rolleyes:

A/UX only ran on 68k Macintosh systems (with an FPU). The last version was 3.1.1 (I personally use 3.0.1 on my Quadra 700). All the 3.x.x versions used System 7.0.1 as the Mac environment and the Unix end was an enhanced version of System V R2.2 (with extras from R3, R4, and 4.3BSD).

Part of the reason for Apple dropping A/UX was that it was easier to just use IBM's AIX 4.x (which was based on System V R4 as I recall) with MAE (Macintosh Application Environment, which could run up to System 7.5) than to port A/UX to PowerPC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.