Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
I’ve discovered IOS12 version of Apple News now seems to have a permanent side bar listing my followed topics in landscape on my iPad Pro, can anyone tell me how to close this?

It’s a disaster, I use this daily, but now have lost a 1/4 of the screen to a settings screen! WTH was Apple thinking? Does anyone read the news on an iPad at Apple?

Time to look for a new News reader app..:( unless anyone can tell me where to turn this off..

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I’ve discovered IOS12 version of Apple News now seems to have a permanent side bar listing my followed topics in landscape on my iPad Pro, can anyone tell me how to close this?

It’s a disaster, I use this daily, but now have lost a 1/4 of the screen to a settings screen! WTH was Apple thinking? Does anyone read the news on an iPad at Apple?

Time to look for a new News reader app..:( unless anyone can tell me where to turn this off..
I just noticed this today and was wondering the same thing

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
Yep... and to make matters worse, I’m left handed and like to scroll from the bottom left corner. Now I have to reach across the screen to scroll.

Not sure how this made it through all the betas without people complaining.

Chrolm

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2016
SoCal
The bar is terrible. At least on the 7+ you can remove it when in landscape. Can't see how to get rid of it in the iPad.

C'mon Apple - do better.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
What I hate about the news app now is at the bottom are 3 sections: Today’s, Emmy’s Recap and Channels.

I can’t change or replace Emmy’s Recap icon/tab Why the heck do I want to see Emmy’s Recap in my News? Argh!!

Reactions: miamialley

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
Turn into portrait mode.
That’s no good for me, I want to read in landscape last thing at night in bed, and as another poster said it also means you can’t scroll down the page with your left hand.
When would having a settings screen open permanently ever be useful! Unbelievable! it really is like no one ever tested this in the beta..this is by far my most popular app..well it was , replacement news readers anyone?

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Send feedback to Apple, I just did.
Sidebar is ridiculous.
Like another poster said, need to find me another News app until this is resolved, if ever.

Reactions: Boomish69

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
I tried “Feedly” news reader last night & this morning but it feels like a poor comparison to Apple News, it took ages to try and replicate all the news channels from AN (Apple News), it’s not bad and certainly better than using AN currently but
I miss AN. Please everyone post feedback to Apple..
I’ve tried to get used to AN but I find it so distracting especially taking up such a huge chunk of space.

Anyone got any other suggestions of news readers? I found a list of them but as it takes so long to setup the feeds it’s going to a while find something as good as Apple News..
FWIW I won’t use Flipboard after they shut down Zite still one of the best news apps that ever was.

Reactions: sinsin07

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
I’ve been using Feedly also, only because it has a web version also therefore it can be used on multiplatforms without having to reconfigure news sources.

For a company trying to promote their News App they sure are doing a terrible job on the interface.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
In my experience it seems rare for an app of this type to hit the perfect mark in terms of how news sources and article formats are presented straight out of the box. Apple News has the polish and flare that many will like, as do some of the other popular apps like Flipboard etc. I’ve tried several including Feedly, mostly because I want more granular control over presentation and source of content, and for now I’ve settled on Newsify and am paying their $3/mo subscription to get premium features in order to get full article content download support.

Some of the things I like about Newsify are dark mode, control over article list format, control over article fonts, ability to add many sources via RSS feeds and ability to download full article content for offline viewing (premium). The thing about the app though is it takes some diving into settings to customize the app to personal taste and I’m not sure if the out of the box experience gets close enough to everyone’s sweet spot to entice them to stick around and dive into the settings to create a better experience for them. Nonetheless its my current favorite for hitting my favorite news sources in one place during my morning and evening routines.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
In my experience it seems rare for an app of this type to hit the perfect mark in terms of how news sources and article formats are presented straight out of the box. Apple News has the polish and flare that many will like, as do some of the other popular apps like Flipboard etc. I’ve tried several including Feedly, mostly because I want more granular control over presentation and source of content, and for now I’ve settled on Newsify and am paying their $3/mo subscription to get premium features in order to get full article content download support.

Some of the things I like about Newsify are dark mode, control over article list format, control over article fonts, ability to add many sources via RSS feeds and ability to download full article content for offline viewing (premium). The thing about the app though is it takes some diving into settings to customize the app to personal taste and I’m not sure if the out of the box experience gets close enough to everyone’s sweet spot to entice them to stick around and dive into the settings to create a better experience for them. Nonetheless its my current favorite for hitting my favorite news sources in one place during my morning and evening routines.
Thanks muzzy that’s good to know, I’ll give Newsify a go, Feedly was awful compared to Apple News, I posted on Apple support pages but no reply so far..I can’t believe it’s going to stay like it is..

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
London
Well a month on and the IOS update failed to fix the stuck open settings screen, very disappointing, Apple either don’t realise the problem or don’t care. Please support me by firing some feedback direct to Apple..there is no direct feedback for Applews but maybe try via the iPad link https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Moriturimax

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2019
Just noticed this morning they added anlittle red frame icon at the top of the page next to the bar, tap it and the sidebar slides out of sight. thank the gods.

Pagemakers

macrumors 68030
Mar 28, 2008
Manchester UK
You can turn it off today but when you go in the app tomorrow you have to turn it off again and when you go into the app the next day you have to turn it off again and so on.

Glad you’re happy to do that every time you use the app. Your estimation of a fix is obviously lower than mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.