Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

c84216

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 15, 2006
Not that Apple News + is garbage. Its actually done a very good job figuring out what topics I am interested in and giving me what I want to see in a snapshot.

But god there's so few concrete, reliable sources and so much tabloidy garbage in there its hard to see delivery of news and reading material from reputable and robust sources. It seems like Apple has lost (or never had?) a collection of researched, reliable sources (though it is nice to have Vox and The Atlantic in there).

I hate to see the product in such bad shape. It had (has?) so much potential. But its just flatlined.

Crunchynut

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2022
Derby, England
Not that Apple News + is garbage. Its actually done a very good job figuring out what topics I am interested in and giving me what I want to see in a snapshot.

But god there's so few concrete, reliable sources and so much tabloidy garbage in there its hard to see delivery of news and reading material from reputable and robust sources. It seems like Apple has lost (or never had?) a collection of researched, reliable sources (though it is nice to have Vox and The Atlantic in there).

I hate to see the product in such bad shape. It had (has?) so much potential. But its just flatlined.

I agree 100%. If you crossed out repetition in what’s written, 90% of articles would shrink from 2 pages to 2 sentences.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I'm still pi$$ed that Apple bought awesome digital magazine app (Texture) and absolutely ruined it with a crappy interface. Then it tried o roll it into the News+ app... Moreover, whatever "news" there is in the News+ app, it's way too far left-leaning for me.

Apple has screwed the pooch with this one.

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
I'm still pi$$ed that Apple bought awesome digital magazine app (Texture) and absolutely ruined it with a crappy interface. Then it tried o roll it into the News+ app... Moreover, whatever "news" there is in the News+ app, it's way too far left-leaning for me.

Apple has screwed the pooch with this one.

It's not exactly fair and balanced.

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
It doesn't do anything to promote or support independent media so I haven't used it a single time outside of opening it when it first came out to take a look. Total garbage that doesn't dare stray outside of mainstream liberal and conservative media.

Cognizant.

Suspended
May 15, 2022
Agreed. Apple News does not give me anywhere near enough right wing nutjob news. I am forced to go to Breitbart for my rabid conspiracy theory wingnut news.
If you're limiting yourself to one side's viewpoints while completely alienating the other side as nut jobs, there doesn't leave much room for personal growth. CNN is just as bad as Breitbart these days, and you don't have to be on a specific side to see that. They blatantly lie ... constantly ... and are losing viewers in droves ... including Dems. Apple News is very left leaning, which makes it impossible for me to use in any capacity. I can't handle extremism. One website I find interesting is AllSides: https://www.allsides.com/unbiased-balanced-news

I seriously hope you let go of this viewpoint, because one side lumping the other side together and vice versa is the biggest issue with this country right now. The divide is strong and unnecessary.

• Haha
Reactions: thv

Dancin-Ted-Danson

macrumors member
May 17, 2020
Equating CNN to Breitbart sort of reveals your hand.

Seems like this discussion belongs in the politics forum.
I mean, CNN is just as ridiculous as Breitbart at this point. Both are just saying ridiculous and outlandish things to drive clicks from people who want to hear those ridiculous things (and thus advertising revenue)...

at this point they are both just different flavors of the same poison...

None of that changes the fact that Apple News+ does a terrible job of aggregating news though. You really have to scroll to find the topics you have listed as interesting, the featured section never really adapts to your likes/dislikes, and if you start blocking news sources it will just tell you the headline is blocked without replacing it with something else... There is a lot of room for improvement from a service that people are paying for

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.