Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Buadhai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2018
Korat, Thailand
I've enjoyed doom scrolling through Apple News since it was introduced. I subscribe to News+. But lately it has become so painfully slow that it is almost unusable. The "Today" section can take many minutes to simply load the thumbnails and titles. Individual articles also load very slowly and some (The Atlantic, for example) simply do not load at all within my patience window. This on both an iPhone and iPad and on an Ethernet wired iMac.

This is not a bandwidth problem. Here's the latest from Ookla:

Date: 202109210419
Down: 93.03 Mbit/s
Up: 93.31 Mbit/s
Server: 3BB - Saraburi (id = 26819)

(Note that I live in Thailand.)

This is not an ISP problem. Over the weekend I was at my condo which is in a different province and at which I have a different ISP. Same slow loading problem there.

I have no difficulties streaming things like Netflix, AppleTV+, YouTube, Plex, NFL Game Pass, etc., at either location.

Flipbaord, which I used before Apple News appeared and to which I have returned, loads just fine.

It seems that a service for which one pays ought to have more efficient content delivery.

Anyone else?

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
It isn’t specific to apple news. The front end for all their services is miserably slow.

scottflora

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2005
So no other help here? Mine also has become completely unusable 2-3 mins minimum to load anyrhing

Eric Idle

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2020
It isn’t specific to apple news. The front end for all their services is miserably slow.

Apple Music on the Mac is incredibly slow. I have to drop Apple Music for another streaming service as the wait times are unbearable.

wellsie

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2021
This is still the case for mr. It’s very frustrating and surprising that Apple doesn’t address it since they’re looking to get more revenue from subscriptions these days. I wonder if they’ve diverted resources to Fitness and Arcade?

cdwaund

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2021
On iPad mine performs better with “Background App Refresh” disabled in settings. Worth a try …

Tabor Boy 57

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2021
On iPad mine performs better with “Background App Refresh” disabled in settings. Worth a try …
Thanks! I tried this and my news app now loads instantly; I went back and turned background app refresh back on and it’s still loading instantly. So cycling out and back in worked well for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.