Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I've just come across this formatting option in Apple Notes. Can anyone clarify what it's called and its purpose? When tapped, it applies a slight indentation to a line of text and adds a small gray vertical line to the left of it.

Attachments

• IMG_4607.jpeg
    IMG_4607.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 175

neutrino17

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2022
If I understand it correctly, then this is similar to other Apple text formatting in Pages and such.

You select some text then choose Heading, Body, etc.

So you might have a line you make a heading then some paragraphs as body. Now, if you change the format of some body text (font size for example) then all of the text that was specified as body will also experience that change.

You could have a few lines identified as Heading in a document. Now you can select one and change the attributes (bold, size) and all of the Heading lines should change also.

At least this is how it works elsewhere in Apple world.

Reactions: matrix07

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
On a slightly different topic, but still formatting related. Has anyone figured out a way of converting a note to a plain text to be able to copy-paste it into an email or some such? For now I need to use a third-party app, but would love to find a more straightforward way with Apple’s own tools.

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
On a slightly different topic, but still formatting related. Has anyone figured out a way of converting a note to a plain text to be able to copy-paste it into an email or some such? For now I need to use a third-party app, but would love to find a more straightforward way with Apple’s own tools.
To remove formatting from Apple Notes, you can create a shortcut in the share sheet with actions Get Text From Input and Copy to Clipboard. It doesn’t work in the general case, though.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
To remove formatting from Apple Notes, you can create a shortcut in the share sheet with actions Get Text From Input and Copy to Clipboard. It doesn’t work in the general case, though.

I need it to work on iOS/iPadOS, so for now am using an app called Easy Note. Another, more native way, is to copy any text into a browser’s search window, that would strip it off of all formatting, but this is still not ideal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.