Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Mac OS Big Sur - 2020 MBP 13'.

1605463722241.png

Anyone else having problems with Apple Notes constantly using 66-67% CPU? This continues until being minimized or closed.

I've tried unchecking Notes in iCloud (which resulted in all notes being removed) - and rechecking to re-sync notes.

1605463819546.png
I only have 170 notes (under 15MB total).

I've let it run for days now. Still consumes 66.4% - 67.2% at all times if not minimized. Once minimized it instantly goes to 0% CPU, and back to 66% on restoration.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Interesting note - the WindowsServer process seems to mirror it. When Apple Notes is minimized, WindowsServer will be at 20-40%. With Apple Notes up - Windows Server and Apple Notes both are at 66% and 70%.

Using a 4k external monitor via Display Port to USB C.

Using Internal Display only results in same behavior. (Window Server at same / near same % as Notes until minimized).

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
That is definitely not normal. I just looked at Big Sur on my mini (where i have had Notes open for days) and Notes doesn’t even show in the list of high CPU usage.

How many notes do you have?
Yeah 170 notes. They're mostly text - a few screenshots - nothing too big or too important. iCloud says I'm using around 14-15MB.

I might try to delete a few notes that I think could be causing it (length wise).

170 I guess?
Thanks for the replies :D

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yeah 170 notes. They're mostly text - a few screenshots - nothing too big or too important. iCloud says I'm using around 14-15MB.

I might try to delete a few notes that I think could be causing it (length wise).

Thanks for the replies :D
It sounds like Big Sur is having trouble properly indexing some of your notes due to formatting.

I have about 150 notes at the moment and haven’t had any problems. I do try to keep each note short and formatted as succinctly as I can.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I think I found out what it was... (Edit: Using Any Scaled Resolution causes Notes and Windows Server to get stuck at 66% when creating a new note for me - Default for Display = no problem).

I use RDM to get a nice resolution that I really like. I just switched my resolution to Default for Display then used Apple Settings to choose this:

1605465156278.png

No Notes CPU usage.

If I use RDM to choose a resolution (even the one with the lightning bolt) - Notes goes to high CPU usage along with the WindowsServer.

Time to uninstall RDM I guess. lol.

Thanks for helping !!! :D Woo hoo.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
And I spoke too soon. Back to 67% CPU after creating a new note. lol.

Definitely related to scaled resolutions. CPU instantly drops when I go back to default resolution for display. Creating a new note with a "native" display results in no CPU spike.

Scaled - adding new note results in CPU 67% constantly.

Reactions: johnalan

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I don't know what RDM is. On my Air, I have my screen scaled to "more space" and when I open Notes, my cpu peaks for around two seconds then it drops out of my list.

I only have a handful of notes though; it could just be that yours are having trouble syncing for some reason. Maybe try leaving it open for a few hours, kind of like those poor people with iMessage have had to do on iOS 14 to get all their photos downloaded.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I think I got it:

Steps to Reproduce. Need an external Monitor on any scaled resolution.

1. Quit notes entirely. (Command+Q).
2. Open Notes - Create a new note - sticks at 66% CPU.

Redoing the above steps on a resolution "Normal for Display" - I can't get it to stick at 66% CPU - goes to 0%.

With a scaled resolution on my external display, adding a new note (after quitting Notes after the resolution change), Notes constantly sticks at 66% CPU - along with the WindowServer process.

Reactions: adrianlondon

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Does any other app do that? How weird. Do you have a notes attachment that might be taking ages to properly scale to the resolution?

I thought this initially - but it happens even if just doing text. Initially I was pasting in an image but when I set resolution to default for display, notes isn't using any CPU even when doing an image note.

Only starts using 66% CPU when I scale, quit notes, start it up, and add a note (even just a text note).

So I think ... I THINK it's related to my external monitor and scaling based on high CPU usage even with just text note. I'm ok with running default for display. I submitted a bug with Apple and gave them all I know with the steps to reproduce. Could just be my setup too, but at least it isn't too bad - and easily mitigated (by running default for display). :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGood@Usernames

voam

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Germany
Exactly the same problem since upgrading to Big Sur (MacBook Pro 2017) - restart & safe mode did not help. Notes (and WindowsServer) take still about 67% CPU permanently (I have about 1300 notes). Very surprising: I disconnected notes from iCloud and restarted in safe mode (without reconnection to iCloud), so the Notes app was empty - and still the CPU was at ~67% usage. Any further ideas? thx&regards

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Nope, still happens to me. I have to run my external monitor on default for display:

1606421601371.png

Doing this prevents Notes from using 67% CPU non-stop.

If I run on ANY scaled resolution it will eventually go back to 67% CPU (and WindowServer same) with my external monitor.

Having an eGPU, resetting Notes... nothing seems to affect it. I'm fairly convinced this is a Mac OS bug with Big Sur. Hopefully fixed soon because....

Running my external Samsung 32' 4k at full resolution is painful... there's a lot of text that you can't resize with CMD +. lol.

So I'm running Default for display and CMD + everything that takes it (to increase text size).

voam

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2020
Germany
Ok - thx for feedback -in the meantime I am also of the opinion that this is a Mac OS bug with Big Sur - so waiting for the next release...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I just found something out.

1606501568870.png

Setting notes to view as a Gallery = no CPU usage - and I've tried to get the CPU problem to come back using the steps above. Viewing as a List - 67% cpu stuck (along with WindowServer).

So happy I can use Notes again on a scaled resolution. LOL. Just have to get used to massive thumbnails for notes now. :p

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Well, I was hoping the new Mac OS update would fix it :(

After 11.1:

1607974879820.png

Looks like I'll be using gallery mode for the foreseeable future (switching to Gallery View causes CPU to instantly drop to 0 for Notes and WindowServer returns to normal).

1607974937851.png

Those of us with an EGPU / External Monitor are out of luck this time :) Next update maybe?

KWilly

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2020
I see the exact same thing everyone else is (high Notes CPU that mirrors high WindowsServer CPU). Thanks to everyone's tips I can fix it two ways:
  • Select Gallery view (View | as Gallery) then return to List view (View | as List)
  • Move Notes app to an unscaled display and then move back to the original (scaled) display
After either of those, CPU drops to ~0. I usually (but not always) have to repeat after exiting and re-opening Notes

jocamero

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I'm having pretty much the same issue, but it's typically using about 4% CPU when minimized, fans kick on. Closing Notes.app fixes the fans and CPU. If I switch to gallery view Notes.app CPU drops to 0.0%. Thanks for this tip!! If I now switch to list, it spikes up to 66.0%, fans kick on. Gallery view is the only thing that 'fixes' it for now.

This has been going on for months for me. I was a Big Sur dev preview tester. I reported the details I knew at the time, months ago.

I'm not using any display scaling. Running the built-in display, LG UltraFine 5K 27", and 27" TBD. MBP 15" 2019, 1.3 GHz 8-Core i9, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB, 32 GB RAM.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
I'm having pretty much the same issue, but it's typically using about 4% CPU when minimized, fans kick on. Closing Notes.app fixes the fans and CPU. If I switch to gallery view Notes.app CPU drops to 0.0%. Thanks for this tip!! If I now switch to list, it spikes up to 66.0%, fans kick on. Gallery view is the only thing that 'fixes' it for now.

This has been going on for months for me. I was a Big Sur dev preview tester. I reported the details I knew at the time, months ago.

I'm not using any display scaling. Running the built-in display, LG UltraFine 5K 27", and 27" TBD. MBP 15" 2019, 1.3 GHz 8-Core i9, Radeon Pro 560X 4 GB, 32 GB RAM.
I submitted a bug too. I can't believe more people aren't having this issue? Are we the only ones that use Apple notes with an external display? lol.

I'm getting used to gallery view - but I much prefer list lol.

vpx

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2020
Same problem using an external 4k screen on max resolution ("more space")
on m1 mac, big sur 11.1 (current)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 19.48.23.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 19.48.23.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 297
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.