Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple confirmed Tuesday that it is now free to ship and sell its products in Iran, following the U.S. government's move to lift an export and sales ban earlier this year, reports The Wall Street Journal. The lifting of the export ban comes as the U.S. government pushes an initiative to support the free flow of information amidst a crackdown by the Iranian government on protesters' ability to share information.

apple_product_lineup.jpg
An Apple spokeswoman issued a statement on the matter:
"We've been told by the U.S. government that most Apple products are covered by regulatory changes announced by the Treasury Department," she said, referring to a decision to ease restrictions on selling a broad array of communications equipment such as smartphones, laptops and computer software to Iran. "As a result, Apple is no longer banned from selling Macs and iOS devices to customers who plan to bring or send those products to Iran," she said.
The use of technology has played a critical part in helping activists in the Middle East, and notably played a role during the 2009 Iranian election protests. Currently, the Global Trade Compliance section on Apple's website states that U.S. embargoes against Cuba, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria prevent the company from selling its products in those regions.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the comment thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All MacRumors forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Apple Now Free to Export and Sell Products in Iran Following Lifting of U.S. Sanctions

Mactendo

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2012
One day we'll read this: "The use of technology has played a critical part in helping activists in the US..."

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I'm not in favour of governments telling independent companies where they can and can't sell their products. I doubt this will make much difference anyway. You can already buy Apple products in Iran and I doubt Apple is planning to open one of their own stores there anytime soon.

Cuba? Seriously? The US is still pissed at Cuba after all these years. Get over it. Drop the sanctions.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Yay, more high-quality underground movies and music from talented Iranian creatives !
On the other hand not sure how many honest, hard-working people can afford Apple devices in Iran...

Anyway, gotta build "power plants" to charge all these shiny new electronic devices !

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
"The lifting of the export ban comes as the U.S. government pushes an initiative to support the free flow of information amidst a crackdown by the Iranian government on protesters' ability to share information."

This is why, I have a feeling there will be a new Mac bug in that area of the world. You can be the government types will be the first to buy.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I forget, what's the point of sanctions? I understand that the point is to harm the other country's economy, but it also causes reciprocal harm to the origin's economy. Surely there are better ways of doing this?

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I forget, what's the point of sanctions? I understand that the point is to harm the other country's economy, but it also causes reciprocal harm to the origin's economy. Surely there are better ways of doing this?

Doesn't work anyway, unilateral sanctions are such a rare thing these days with Russia and China seemingly just doing business with whoever, regardless of what's decided by the UN.

Same goes for US and UK, just starting wars with everyone regardless of what's decided by the UN.

Seems to me that the best solution would be to dissolve the UN, as it literally serves no purpose other than to buy time for morons to make bad decisions and take noone's opinions into account.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
…..The use of technology has played a critical part in helping activists in the Middle East, and notably played a role during the 2009 Iranian election protests…..

Article Link: Apple Now Free to Export and Sell Products in Iran Following Lifting of U.S. Sanctions

Don't know how the free flow of information would go over with the likes of Ahmadinejad and Iran's Revolutionary Guard, and their repressive regimes.

The 'export and sales ban' gone, unfortunately might not make a whole lot of difference to the average Iranian.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.