Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I am dealing with headaches on my iPhone 11. Trying to determine if I can find a setting to allow me to keep it, as I have already traded in my second 8+. I traded my first one in for an Xs max at launch. That caused me headaches, so I picked up a red 8+. One of the main reasons I upgraded this time was because 64gb was getting very tight, and the 128gb 11 was perfect. When I picked up my 8+ last year, the only options were 64/256. Now the 8+ is the bottom of the barrel in terms of phones available from Apple, and they offer a 128gb option but NOT 256gb anymore. This is a major shame, because most of us would have probably picked up a 128gb 8+ from the jump and been very happy. They know 128gb is the ideal storage size for most people, so they purposely forced you to upgrade to 256gb when the 8+ was still one of the newer models. It’s not a surprise to anyone that the company that doesn’t even include a headphone dongle or a fast charger (before the pros this year) would try to maximize profits, but I’m still a bit annoyed. Penny pinching to the max!

Reactions: jimmy_uk

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
I thought this bean counter strategy was not a secret seven years ago.
I’m not shining light on anything new here. Honestly, I would not have even upgraded to the 11 if my 8+ had 128gb. It’s more so me whining.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
I’m not shining light on anything new here. Honestly, I would not have even upgraded to the 11 if my 8+ had 128gb. It’s more so me whining.
Just for the record carrier stores still offer the 256gb in the 8 plus. But yes Apple doesn’t anymore. Check Verizon’s version, they still have Qualcomm modems and are truly unlocked on the 8 plus

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
Just for the record carrier stores still offer the 256gb in the 8 plus. But yes Apple doesn’t anymore. Check Verizon’s version, they still have Qualcomm modems and are truly unlocked on the 8 plus
It sounds nice, but I already traded in my mint 8+ for $300 (could have gotten $400 online, but didn’t want the hassle). I’m more so bitter it wasn’t available at launch or last year. They only now offer 128gb once the 8+ is their lowest tier option.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
As much a we all whine about outrageous Apple storage pricing, that's their bread & butter. Huge profit margins on storage upgrades. Always has been that way in all their products since they've soldered them down. It's a multi-billion dollar cash cow for them. Ain't going to change ever.

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019
As much a we all whine about outrageous Apple storage pricing, that's their bread & butter. Huge profit margins on storage upgrades. Always has been that way in all their products since they've soldered them down. It's a multi-billion dollar cash cow for them. Ain't going to change ever.
That’s right that’s why I don’t feel any guilt by loopholing some of their policies such as exchanges,returns, replacements bitching about the smallest things to get another phone etc.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
The iPhone 11 wont be causing headaches if you didn’t suffer on the older iPhones... only the Pro models with OLED displays can cause issues when people upgrade.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
The iPhone 11 wont be causing headaches if you didn’t suffer on the older iPhones... only the Pro models with OLED displays can cause issues when people upgrade.
There are a small number of us who have unexplained headaches from the 11, but were perfect on the 7+ or 8+

WalterSobchak

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
The LCD of the XR definitely fixed the headaches and eye soreness I felt with the pro model, but the width of the display and font size rendered are not agreeable to me. At least less so than my 7plus. It is not nearly as enjoyable for me in extended use. Otherwise i really like the Xr and the gesture based interface.

With the 128gb 8plus available as a 2019 build, i will most likely get one of those and ride it into the sunset until hopefully Apple releases a more palatable option.

Reactions: NorthSeaBeach

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
grab popcorn and waiting to see what all the apple apologists have to say, something along the line of "64gb is more than enough for me so therefore apple is justify in putting 64gb base in a 1k phone" 😂

Actually, 64 GB is enough for me.😁 And I wager 64 GB is probably plenty sufficient for many consumers as well. I’m not an apologist, I’m a realist, and the only ones that really seem to complain about storage, are those on here. If somebody needs higher storage, you pay for it. That’s why there’s different pricing options. Case in point.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Actually, 64 GB is enough for me.? And I wager 64 GB is probably plenty sufficient for many consumers as well. I’m not an apologist, I’m a realist, and the only ones that really seem to complain about storage, are those on here. If somebody needs higher storage, you pay for it. That’s why there’s different pricing options. Case in point.

Agreed, another realist here.

I use iCloud (upgraded plan) and store most of my stuff in there, and in doing so, 64gb is plenty for me.

I am not apologizing for Apple, as I think the base models should come with 128gb, but we all know that is not going to happen anytime soon.

:apple:

Sam in SoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2019

I use iCloud (upgraded plan) and store most of my stuff in there, and in doing so, 64gb is plenty for me.

I am not apologizing for Apple, as I think the base models should come with 128gb, but we all know that is not going to happen anytime soon.

Smart reply. You understand the system and you work around it

Reactions: SRLMJ23

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Smart reply. You understand the system and you work around it

Thanks for the comment!

My question is, do most people not know they can upgrade their iCloud plan and store their data in there so they have more room on the physical iPhone storage...OR...do people know about it, but would rather spend a lot of extra money to get 256/512gb physical storage (which I do not know anyone who comes close to using 512gb on their iPhone, but I am not doubting there are people who do) whereas they could save A TON of money by upgrading their iCloud plan to say what I have, the $2.99 200GB plan?

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Actually, 64 GB is enough for me.? And I wager 64 GB is probably plenty sufficient for many consumers as well. I’m not an apologist, I’m a realist, and the only ones that really seem to complain about storage, are those on here. If somebody needs higher storage, you pay for it. That’s why there’s different pricing options. Case in point.
i disagree. in actuality the only ones that really seem to be content with 64gb are those on here, cause normal consumers, especially non tech folks, don't have the time to go back up onto their icloud and micro managing their storage every other week. keeping everything on their phone is the much easier solution. the ONLY time i seen ppl micro managing their storage is when they run out of storage to take photos, thats when they sit there for hours debating which to delete and which to keep. alot of folks i know say they are fine with 64gb, only to complain a year later when they run out of storage but want to keep the phone for another year or two, since iphone nowadays are so much more expensive without carrier subsidiess.

i have and will probably pay for the higher storage, but that doesn't mean apple should keep the base storage at 64gb on a 1k phone. case in point.
[automerge]1572943419[/automerge]
Thanks for the comment!

My question is, do most people not know they can upgrade their iCloud plan and store their data in there so they have more room on the physical iPhone storage...OR...do people know about it, but would rather spend a lot of extra money to get 256/512gb physical storage (which I do not know anyone who comes close to using 512gb on their iPhone, but I am not doubting there are people who do) whereas they could save A TON of money by upgrading their iCloud plan to say what I have, the $2.99 200GB plan?

there are alot of people who don't trust the cloud, they believe their stuff should be on the phone and not on someone else's server. thats just one reason, another would be icloud is not readily accessible when the photo or video is on phone.

Last edited:

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 3, 2017
The difference between 64 and 128 on the 11 is $50. At that rate, it's a no brainer. It becomes more tricky when it comes to the pros. 64 to 256 is $150.

icloudUser

macrumors regular
May 20, 2019

Rocking 64gb storage is like driving a hybrid. Theres a strange satisfaction to be had when the usage remains in control just like the hybrid.
(no offense to hybrid owners but thats my comparison)

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
I am dealing with headaches on my iPhone 11. Trying to determine if I can find a setting to allow me to keep it, as I have already traded in my second 8+. I traded my first one in for an Xs max at launch. That caused me headaches, so I picked up a red 8+. One of the main reasons I upgraded this time was because 64gb was getting very tight, and the 128gb 11 was perfect. When I picked up my 8+ last year, the only options were 64/256. Now the 8+ is the bottom of the barrel in terms of phones available from Apple, and they offer a 128gb option but NOT 256gb anymore. This is a major shame, because most of us would have probably picked up a 128gb 8+ from the jump and been very happy. They know 128gb is the ideal storage size for most people, so they purposely forced you to upgrade to 256gb when the 8+ was still one of the newer models. It’s not a surprise to anyone that the company that doesn’t even include a headphone dongle or a fast charger (before the pros this year) would try to maximize profits, but I’m still a bit annoyed. Penny pinching to the max!

Apple did this for years. It's called upselling, it's also boosting their ASP (Average Selling Price). They introduced the 64/256 GB option with the iPhone 8 and X in 2017 for the first time, and it made sense for Apple, because the X was the first 999$ iPhone and they just thought that they would sell less units because they were more expensive, so they wanted to increase the ASP of each iPhone. But iPhone X still sold really, really well. iPhone 8 was overshadowed by the X in 2017, and it's just a 7s to be honest and you cannot really justify a 8 or 8 Plus if you already have a 7 or 7 Plus, those phones sold also well in 2016. And the iPhone 8 looks the same (except for the glass back and different colors), and people were hyped for a new design, that they X brought.

Apple never had the right storage size for you for a long time, you were basically forced to pay extra for more storage.

5 and 5s had 16/32/64. iPhone 6? 16/64/128, so Apple said "We increased the capacities, 64 GB is now just 100$ more instead of 200$", but still, you had to pay another 100$. Same with the 6s - 16 GB base model in 2015... so people went with 64 GB and paid that 100$. A year later, Apple has done 32/128/256 for the 7, forcing people to get the 128 GB, because 32 GB isn't enough and you had 64 GB before, with the 6 or 6s. Now you have the 128 GB iPhone 7, another year later: iPhone 8 or X? No more 128 GB, 64 GB or 256 GB it is. Forcing the customer to pay 150$ for 256 GB, but all they want is 128 GB. They just never had the right storage size for you. Either you get the base model and downgrade your storage of what you previously had, or you were forced to pay atleast 100$ more.

It's pretty clever actually, business-wise. Last year they finally stopped that. 64/128/256 on the Xr, same with the 11. iPhone 8 and 8 Plus has now also new options at 64/128 as you already noticed. 256 GB has been removed from both the 8 (Plus), but also the Xr. You want the Xr with 256GB? Nope, you need to buy the 11 instead. Obviously you can still get them third-party but not at Apple directly.

64/256/512 for the Xs and Pro models is still stupid, for that price and for a "Pro" phone it should have been 128/256/512. But i guess most Pro customers went with 256 GB anyways. Going from 64 GB to 128 GB is just 50$ extra, and i recommend that to everyone, but 150$ to jump from 64 GB to 256 GB? It's much and you have to think twice about that. 64 GB and 128 GB that's the sweet spot today, many are fine with the 64 GB base model, and many more want 128 GB. But 256 GB is overkill for most and it sucks when someone wanted to buy a 8 (Plus) or X and 64 GB wasn't enough and again, 150$ extra for the 256 GB that only few people want or need. No 128. It's also 64 GB & 256 GB only for the iPad Air 10.5" and iPad mini 5th gen...

The flash storage chip can be easily changed afterwards, they don't need different iOS IPSWs for every capacity, it's all the same. And i bet it doesn't cost Apple much to use a 256 GB or 128 GB chip instead of 64 GB... but they charge for that. I could go on with their leather cases that are 50$ each and they don't cost much to make, same with the headphone jack dongle that is now no longer included and on and on... especially the Accessories i call overpriced... but that's Apple.

Someone even modded a 7 Plus 32 GB i think it was, and replaced the 32 GB chip with the 512 GB chip that was at the time only to be found in the 2nd gen iPad Pro 10.5". It worked fine, without any issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ilikewhey

DevinNj

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2016
New Jersey
i disagree. in actuality the only ones that really seem to be content with 64gb are those on here, cause normal consumers, especially non tech folks, don't have the time to go back up onto their icloud and micro managing their storage every other week.

I disagree with you my friend, "normal" consumers usually don't even know what a gigabyte is, or what it means. They look at price, as a determining factor when purchasing. It's the tech savvy consumers who realize what the differences are, and how to manage storage to their own needs. Like stated by above I'm just fine with 64gb, I only use between 30-40 the past few years, but that's just me.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I disagree with you my friend, "normal" consumers usually don't even know what a gigabyte is, or what it means. They look at price, as a determining factor when purchasing. It's the tech savvy consumers who realize what the differences are, and how to manage storage to their own needs. Like stated by above I'm just fine with 64gb, I only use between 30-40 the past few years, but that's just me.
they might not know what a gigabyte is but they certainly do know when they run out of storage, and made a conscious reminder that their next phone will have a bigger storage than current.

Jzamora1978

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2018

I’m the same way. Google photos and Apple Music for me. I’m not a heavy user I Guess, but I don’t need everything downloaded on my phone. I guess living in Southern California where the signal is pretty good everywhere I go helps out also for steaming

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Apple does deserve high margins.

It isn’t really a crime.

And they won’t be able to provide the service they do without these super high margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.