Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
I bought a gift card for the entire purchase amount of my watch since it was said online only. Now after Maxfield, which is not far from me, gets stock almost daily I decided to ask Apple Customer Service.

They said, "At this time we do not know of any other locations that are selling our Apple Watches aside from Apple.com"

I was literally laughing out loud, and even provided the agent with the link on Apple's website saying they will sell them at those few boutique stores.

I said take a look at Apple's own website, paragraph five :)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...re-Preview-Online-Pre-Order-Begin-Friday.html

Last edited:

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
The madness continues. You were literally laughing out loud? Why would you expect the Apple online store be able to answer questions about Maxfield?

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
So why are you wasting your time with Apple reps? Get your watch at Maxfield and cancel your order while it's still in processing.

As I stated above, I paid using a gift card. (That I bought so I don't run into credit card fraud hold problems.)

On the phone with Apple now, looks like they are willing to refund the gift card purchase. Awesome, most retailers will not make any refunds on gift cards.

Now I am happy :) even though I don't have my Watch :)

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
The madness continues. You were literally laughing out loud? Why would you expect the Apple online store be able to answer questions about Maxfield?

Because my complaint/rationale for asking for a refund on my gift card was because this was originally announced as online only. Since I have my $700~ tied up in a Gift Card, I was stuck to buying from Apple.

And yes, they should have information about where they are selling it. It is stated on their website they are selling there... (granted not detailed information, but they should at least know those small handful of stores selling their product....)

Anyway, they were nice and refunded me, now I have the option to get in person at Maxfield.

----------

Credit card fraud? Don't you know you're not liable for any fraudulent charges?

No, a fraud hold... Seems whenever I make a legit purchase online, my bank flags it and blocks it.... Didn't want that to happen, hence securing a gift card in advance.

ninjadex

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
Because my complaint/rationale for asking for a refund on my gift card was because this was originally announced as online only. Since I have my $700~ tied up in a Gift Card, I was stuck to buying from Apple.

And yes, they should have information about where they are selling it. It is stated on their website they are selling there... (granted not detailed information, but they should at least know those small handful of stores selling their product....)

Anyway, they were nice and refunded me, now I have the option to get in person at Maxfield.

That's good that it all worked out. I hope you are successful.

But I don't agree that the Apple online store should have detailed information about Maxfield. What if they gave you the hope that Maxfield has the product, then it turns out you cancel your Apple order, only to find out that Maxfield is now sold out? Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Paulshaqz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2009
I bought a gift card for the entire purchase amount of my watch since it was said online only. Now after Maxfield, which is not far from me, gets stock almost daily I decided to ask Apple Customer Service.

They said, "At this time we do not know of any other locations that are selling our Apple Watches aside from Apple.com"

I was literally laughing out loud, and even provided the agent with the link on Apple's website saying they will sell them at those few boutique stores.

I said take a look at Apple's own website, paragraph five :)

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/201...re-Preview-Online-Pre-Order-Begin-Friday.html

thats cool they decided to give back your refund on a gift card now you can buy some bands with it or just keep it for the next iPhone in the next 4 months.

Drew888

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
That's good that it all worked out. I hope you are successful.

But I don't agree that the Apple online store should have detailed information about Maxfield. What if they gave you the hope that Maxfield has the product, then it turns out you cancel your Apple order, only to find out that Maxfield is now sold out? Hopefully that doesn't happen.

Not expecting them to have detailed information. But there's what, only 4 or 5 stores in the world where you can buy in their store... One would think they knew this... To be told only sold at apple.com for now, when the info is on their own site is just funny.

And, despite popular opinion, I'm not dumb. I'm not canceling my watch order with Apple. When they finally process it, the gift card fund will be gone since refunded and I will need to update the payment info... Since most likely Maxfields isn't going to get the one I want sooner... Just want my options open, and feel,better now that I'm not bound now to spend that $700 at Apple

CellXor10

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Connecticut, USA
I'm still a bit confused on why an Apple gift card purchase had to be involved here, but whatever. That's actually pretty crazy, if I'm understanding the story correctly, that they did in the end refund your gift card purchase. I think I understand how you rationalized it, but don't know exactly why it made sense to the Apple rep too.

I guess it still comes down to the idea of the gift card haha. Pretty sweet it worked out for you tho!

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
I'm not really sure why you'd expect a representative of a store to know that a product they sell is also available at some small store in particular.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
No, a fraud hold... Seems whenever I make a legit purchase online, my bank flags it and blocks it.... Didn't want that to happen, hence securing a gift card in advance.

I've heard of those horror stories. You should find a better CC issuer so you don't have to deal with the hassle of fraud holds and resort to using gift cards for major purchases.

Vanilla Face

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2013
You need to read what was posted, never said anything about a store representative knowing anything...

I did read what you posted. You chatted with Apple, which means you either chatted with store support or technical support. If you were chatting with technical support than I'm not sure why you'd expect them to know anything about how the watch is sold. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and assumed you were referring to the online store support rather than technical support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.