Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Regarding Trams, delays etc. the Trams had no bearing on how long it took Apple to come to Edinburgh, they still managed to close the road partially when the council was creating mayhem and congestion just the next road up , the issue there was getting the right property, getting a partner to develop the whole building once they found it. (most of the building is a hotel) the delays with St James Quarter was an issue from the start as they were thinking being an anchor tenant there instead of going alone with this building and then there was issues with planning that caused headaches and more delays. The delays caused it's final partner Motel One to seek a second property which ended up opening a good while before this did. Luckily the hotel trade here hasn't suffered due the economic crisis so in the end was a win for all.

The building was TOTALLY stripped out, only the exterior front/side walls are original, everything else is new and bespoke. The windows took ages to be delivered after a few changes had to be made due to the council for example. they also had to add extra floors to the whole building. This caused dates to slip. Even up until recently there extra slight delays due to utility works needed for Apple to go live. Edinburgh is a nightmare for planning and this wasn't a simple (re)build. Even cleaning the exterior was restricted..

According to some acquaintances that work at the Aberdeen store it is one of Apples most profitable. Perhaps not surprising considering the oil wealth.

I think someone is pulling your leg, it's not near the top. In Scotland it's got a slightly higher spend per customer & purchase vs footfall rate but nowhere near UK wide.

Regarding the Tram cost it was slightly over engineered, built on the slow so contractors kept their jobs during the worst economic crisis and badly underestimated which led to costly disputes, and another good example of how hard it is to work in such a historic area of the city with so many restrictions. The utility's and what was was actually found under the road surface was a nightmare with very little mapped out. As stated the 700+ million includes all poles, rails, equipment and street furniture to complete the line to Newhaven (it's original end destination likely to happen in 2016/17) as well as the extra Trams they currently don't need. So it's not AS bad as it seems, although still eye watering to see written down!

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Regarding Trams, delays etc. the Trams had no bearing on how long it took Apple to come to Edinburgh...

While it seems plausible it was just the time it takes for that building to be renovated, there were plenty rumours of other sites Apple was eyeing up. The old Virgin Megastore (now Urban Outfitters) was an attractive site, given the view of Edinburgh Castle and wide pavement with plenty bus stops outside.

Princes St shops were reporting serious drops during the times Princes St was a bomb site. Hardly a good time for an Apple Store to pop up on the scene and try to do well.

Are you forgetting how chaotic it was to try and walk down a congested pavement, constant digging and noise next to you and having to take a d-tour to try and cross South St. Andrews St? Why spend lots of time and marketing on a new shop that's difficult to get to with the disruption duration unknown?

Silver Pegasus

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
While it seems plausible it was just the time it takes for that building to be renovated, there were plenty rumours of other sites Apple was eyeing up. The old Virgin Megastore (now Urban Outfitters) was an attractive site, given the view of Edinburgh Castle and wide pavement with plenty bus stops outside.

Princes St shops were reporting serious drops during the times Princes St was a bomb site. Hardly a good time for an Apple Store to pop up on the scene and try to do well.

Are you forgetting how chaotic it was to try and walk down a congested pavement, constant digging and noise next to you and having to take a d-tour to try and cross South St. Andrews St? Why spend lots of time and marketing on a new shop that's difficult to get to with the disruption duration unknown?

You do remember that for a long while the Trams were canceled and no work was taking place on Princes Street? They didn't open the store during that period either..

christarp

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2013
Sometimes when I read these articles I feel like I'm a little spoiled when I have an apple store within 10 minutes driving distance, and another within 25 minutes!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You do remember that for a long while the Trams were canceled and no work was taking place on Princes Street? They didn't open the store during that period either..

A period of uncertainty. The trams aren't the sole reason of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
About time but like a couple of you mentioned it was probably due to the extended tram works on Princes Street, it's been a mess for years!

I live in Northumberland (not too far away) and I've been travelling in to Edinburgh year after year and the level of work and disruption on Princes Street surprised me every time. Glad to see Edinburgh is getting back to its best! :)
What would be closer to you, the Edinburgh or Newcastle store?

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
But does the tram go by the Edinburgh store? :rolleyes:

Still waiting for an Apple Store in Dundee....

Oh yes - it sails by. Wait, what? You wanted it to stop? Oh no!

----------

Love this thread and the interesting 'theories' about delays. One question though - short of walking past the actual building at the right time how do we know when it will open? I've seen July 26 & Aug 2 suggested anyone know better?

Last edited:

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
One question though - short of walking past the actual building at the right time how do we know when it will open? I've seen July 26 & Aug 2 suggested anyone know better?

It'll be before the festival gets into full swing - Apple will want to have a presence during the festival I'm sure.

Also, they wouldn't brand the construction boards if it wasn't opening 'very soon'.

I'm ready with my slowly failing 2011 MacBook Pro with the doomed GPU. Hopefully they'll be feeling generous with it being a new store and give me a replacement machine that doesn't have a ticking time bomb GPU.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
Yes but how will I know/find out? Do Apple send me an email saying "we see you live within drooling distance of our new store which opens....."

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Yes but how will I know/find out? Do Apple send me an email saying "we see you live within drooling distance of our new store which opens....."

Are you that giggity about an Apple Store? You'll find out here, or it'll probably be in local news as a brief mention.

paulgarb

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
North Berwick
I guess I am not making myself clear - it is well known that opening day for any Apple Store involves large crowds, t-shirts, goodie bags, etc. and I MAY be in a position to trot along and have a look, maybe even take part.

SO - the question is (still) how & when are these store openings announced? By Apple? How many days in advance? Notice on hoarding outside the shop? Etc. and so forth. I live a 20 minute train journey away from Edinburgh and, now I don't work, I have no reason to be there on a regular basis.

As for guesses at timing - before the Festival would be obvious but which one - the festival proper starts Aug 8th, the Fringe (which most people think of as the festival now) starts Aug 1st. The Commonwealth Games start on July 23rd and that is a significant date for Scotland as a whole - so lots to pick from and no real clues.

Coldstream

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2012
Edinburgh lagging behind Glasgow?

Edinburgh lagging behind Glasgow yet again ;)

Not really - Edinburgh was co-operating with Apple to find a location in 2008. It was Apple who said (colloquially) "stick it - this town's a mess. Tell us when you're done and we'll be back!"

Even now, although the trams do not pass the store font, Apple have still had to stump up the "tram premium" (£20,000 I think) to the city for all the hordes of people who will be coming in from the Gyle and Broomhouse. Not.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Not really - Edinburgh was co-operating with Apple to find a location in 2008. It was Apple who said (colloquially) "stick it - this town's a mess. Tell us when you're done and we'll be back!"

Even now, although the trams do not pass the store font, Apple have still had to stump up the "tram premium" (£20,000 I think) to the city for all the hordes of people who will be coming in from the Gyle and Broomhouse. Not.

Nice town Coldstream - used to stay there. Anyway, great to see the Capital finally getting a store.

tankapotamus

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2014
They should make an Apple Store Portable. A lunch truck type truck with an Apple Store shoved in it, but with Apples' style they should use a custom tour bus!

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Was hoping it'd be open by now!

I wonder if they were planning to use it as a mini fringe venue in similar ways to events being on at London's Regent St store.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
ifoapplestore say delay for unknown reasons - an opportunity missed I think

Recruitment issues perhaps.. though I knew of a few folk who live in Edinburgh but commute to work in the Glasgow store who were declined a move to the Edinburgh store.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
A couple of openings have been announced this weekend but still not Edinburgh. Do stores ever open on days other than Saturday?

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
There's an apple authorised reseller (Stormfront) in the Overgate. Don't know what the Apple store would give you that this doesn't.

Thanks - I was aware of that store. :) I am not sure an Apple store gives you that much more, but they tend to be larger and have a little more variety in stock....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.