Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Hope it’s not me
big brother is not watching you.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Captain Trips

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
Technical ownership, shareholding, etc., is just one way of viewing things.

Despite Abuses of NSO Spyware, Israel Will Lobby U.S. to Defend It​

As a new accusation surfaces that NSO’s software may have been used to spy on Palestinians, Israeli officials say it is crucial to national security.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/08/world/middleeast/nso-israel-palestinians-spyware.html

Israel Envoy Says Firms Like Pegasus-maker NSO Can't Sell To Non-Government Actors​

The Ambassador said that every export of NSO needed an export licence of the Israeli government, which was only granted for exporting to fellow governments.​

https://www.republicworld.com/world...r-nso-cant-sell-to-non-government-actors.html

NSO revealed as informal arm of gov’t? - analysis​

What are the broader implications of NSO for Israel-US relations?​

https://www.jpost.com/israel-news/nso-revealed-as-informal-arm-of-israeli-govt-analysis-684504
in case of emergency blame israel.jpg

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
It's important to boycott Israel, which is responsible for this software, as well:

If Apple can stop selling its products in Turkey because of economic concerns, it can certainly stop selling products in Israel for software concerns.
Israel isn’t the only one that does this kind of spying. The United States is just as implicated.

An interesting podcast that goes into hacking and more is DarkNet Diaries.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Conspiracy theorists have gone crazy on 'potential' (not actual) repercussions.
You say that as though considering potential repercussions is a bad thing. If you're a soldier being sent to war with no body armour is it wrong to worry about the "potential" risk of injury that might result, or should you only complain after getting injured?

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
LMAO. If you read, it is state sponsored.

If this was China or Russia, everyone here will immediately call Apple to pull out from China or Russia.

Well, state regulated/sanctioned anyway.

As for claims about China/Russia, I don't know. State sanctioned hackers in Russia shut down a US oil pipeline that lead to fuel shortage across the East Coast. I don't see anyone here talking about boycotting Russia.

Meanwhile, China is committing genocide. Again, I don't see anyone on these forums calling to boycott China or refusing to buy Apple products assembled in China.

Unsupported

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2020
a land far, far away...
So they can victimise theirselves while they commit a genocide towards Palestinian

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
This is good. More tech companies need to take spying and stalkware seriously. The idea that AV vendors knew of that software, and were silent on it is understandable, but knowing that those 'tools' are being widely misused, notifying users is great news. I'd want to know. In my past life, I was an environmental activist, and one corporation in particular had people followed, and who knows what else. One person I had met was fired from their job under questionable conditions. Another subgroup was threatened with a SLAPP lawsuit over their attempts to interview their employees. People were getting death threats too. I wouldn't put it past them to use any tool at their disposal to threaten, stalk, intimidate, terrorize, people in the community. It could backfire and push legitimate subjects farther in the darkness, but the misuse of those 'tools', cyberweapons, should come with consequences. Whoever thought it was a great idea to use them to stalk exes and people critical of them were immature and shortsighted. Like, sure a small thermonuclear device would remove that stump, but is the collateral damage really worth it?

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2012
How is CSAM spyware when they have been very open in telling people what it was and how it would work?
That… has nothing to do with whether something is spyware or not. Spyware is software that compromises user privacy, which CSAM definitely is. While most spyware runs hidden from the user it doesn’t mean it stops being spyware if the company behind it announces what it does.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Except they notified the public?:confused:
You are not wrong, but I did say not willingly notify the public. CSAM only became a thing Apple fully disclosed the particulars of, after the public discovered its existence on their own.

brucewayne

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
The problem with this, and really all attempts like this, is who maintains the list of who is a 'threat' and who can (and will) exploit this in the future, especially as the companies that have the keys are increasingly more politically one-sided.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I would love to update to iOS 15 so that I can be on the latest OS but I need to worry about the front door before I can start worrying about the back door. Apple what is your decision on CSAM. Won't touch iOs 15 or buy any new iOs devices until you tell us what you're doing.
CSAM doesn't exist in iOS 15, so you can update.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Won't work on me. I'm not important enough for anyone to spy on.😏 Ah, the perks of being a proletariat/plebian. 🥳 Big Brother didn't care about us in Nineteen Eighty-Four, they still don't care about us in 2021.😐

If you are on the internet, you will be targeted, and someone will spend time trying to hack your life. Don't ever assume it can't/won't happen.

Last edited:

applicious84

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2020
Apple could stop selling in Israel but that would be immoral as Israel as a nation has done nothing wrong apart from the allegations Apple is suing that Israeli company for.
Actually:
But the company’s biggest backer, the government of Israel, considers the software a crucial element of its foreign policy and is lobbying Washington to remove the company from the blacklist, two senior Israeli officials said Monday.

Again, they stopped selling in Turkey for an issue far less dangerous, and Israel used the software to spy on Palestinians

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I hope they also act upon American state sponsored NSA/CIA.

The use of Stingray fake cell towers has been reduced quite a bit but I read that a small town near me was crowing about how they had a Stingray. I really had to sit and think about that for a while. Do cows have cell phones? Is there that much 'naughty' activity among farmers and livestock? Seems like quite a waste of money to me.

'Hey Elmer! Those Johnson farm cows are at it again! We need to head over there and see if we can deal with this without having to resort to some 'rough milking'! Those damned bovine fools, we'll stop them!!! No way are they getting away with that again!' :oops:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.