Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zanton68

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Have I understood this correctly? Apple Pay was touch ID, really easy, hold the phone to the reader with your thumb on the home button, a quick easy, smooth process, but, with Face ID you have to double click the power button and hold the phone up to your face?

I don't use Apple pay on the watch because it is, relatively speaking, awkward. It seems Face ID phones have made it less smooth, less seamless. I think I'll just go back to using the cards, just tap and go.

Reactions: brgjoe and akash.nu

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
It’s not really as difficult as you make it sound. To use apple pay with Face ID you double click the side button and look at the phone to unlock it, then hold it up to the reader. Maybe an extra step, but it can be done pretty quickly and seamlessly.

That said, I use Apple pay almost exclusively with my watch. I find the watch much quicker and easier than pulling my phone out of my pocket. I’m not sure why you find using the watch awkward

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Have I understood this correctly? Apple Pay was touch ID, really easy, hold the phone to the reader with your thumb on the home button, a quick easy, smooth process, but, with Face ID you have to double click the power button and hold the phone up to your face?

I don't use Apple pay on the watch because it is, relatively speaking, awkward. It seems Face ID phones have made it less smooth, less seamless. I think I'll just go back to using the cards, just tap and go.

I agree with you. Face ID has made some user experience really awkward.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
I use my watch. But I also have used my phone. I prefer Face ID. It’s more secure that Touch ID for me. All I did was pull out my phone and double clicked it and scanned my face. Waited there until the cashier was fine with the phone ready to go. One she was done, just put the Apple Pay ready phone over the terminal and bam. Quick enough for me with extra security and less risk. I’ll take it anyway. But the watch is just perfect.

Lobwedgephil

Contributor
Apr 7, 2012
Apple Pay with Face ID is much better in my usage, I used to only use my watch, since the X I use only my phone. Double tap and done, easy as can be.

Reactions: mizzourah

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
I use my watch. But I also have used my phone. I prefer Face ID. It’s more secure that Touch ID for me. All I did was pull out my phone and double clicked it and scanned my face. Waited there until the cashier was fine with the phone ready to go. One she was done, just put the Apple Pay ready phone over the terminal and bam. Quick enough for me with extra security and less risk. I’ll take it anyway. But the watch is just perfect.

The double click and then raising the device up to your face are extra and awkward steps.

Reactions: brgjoe and Zanton68

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
I actually much prefer Apple Pay with FaceID. I love being able to confirm my Apple Pay verification before getting to the cashier. What I hate the most with TouchID is the occasional fails when you’re at the front of a long line. And then fumbling to get it to work again.

With FaceID, by the time I reach the cashier the machine reads it so much quicker, I barely even get close to the reader and the transaction is already done. Love it.

Reactions: balaplus

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
Apple Pay on the watch is so convenient and has the most wow factor from cashiers. I can’t remember the last time I used my phone to make a payment because the watch is so good at it.

Powermax

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
I actually much prefer Apple Pay with FaceID. I love being able to confirm my Apple Pay verification before getting to the cashier. What I hate the most with TouchID is the occasional fails when you’re at the front of a long line. And then fumbling to get it to work again.

With FaceID, by the time I reach the cashier the machine reads it so much quicker, I barely even get close to the reader and the transaction is already done. Love it.
You’re also able to pre-authorize Apple Pay with Touch ID by opening the wallet app and keep your finger on the home button. Then Apple Pay is enabled for one minute and you just need to hold it to the reader when you ready to pay. I always did that while waiting in line.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
You’re also able to pre-authorize Apple Pay with Touch ID by opening the wallet app and keep your finger on the home button. Then Apple Pay is enabled for one minute and you just need to hold it to the reader when you ready to pay. I always did that while waiting in line.

Good tip, thanks. For me, I personally find it much easier to just double click with FaceID (which also enables it for a minute) than have to unlock the phone with touchID, then open the wallet app, then hold the button again to pre-authorise it.

Basically does the same thing but the whole process is much more streamlined now.

Using FaceID with Apple Pay has become so routine it works great for me on a day to day basis.

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Good tip, thanks. For me, I personally find it much easier to just double click with FaceID (which also enables it for a minute) than have to unlock the phone with touchID, then open the wallet app, then hold the button again to pre-authorise it.

Basically does the same thing but the whole process is much more streamlined now.

Using FaceID with Apple Pay has become so routine it works great for me on a day to day basis.
You can argue til your blue in the face, but TouchID is just as easy and quick. If it ever failed, quick to try again. Don’t need to open up anything to pay with TouchID. Have your finger on TouchID and put the phone on the reader. Done.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
The double click and then raising the device up to your face are extra and awkward steps.

Extra steps for better security. It’s been said Face ID is better secured than Touch ID. If you don’t care, that’s your preference. Doesn’t change it’s a fact. And don’t even say, “well, Face ID can be fooled. So? Touch ID has been fooled too. It’s not about if it can be fooled. It’s about even if you can fool both biometrics, Face ID is still a better biometrics security feature to Touch ID.

For face scan, who brings it up to their face? I don’t have to do that. My iPhone can scan my face from holding it from my hip. You have to be dumb to bring the phone phone up all the way to your face to get your face scanned.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
You can argue til your blue in the face, but TouchID is just as easy and quick. If it ever failed, quick to try again. Don’t need to open up anything to pay with TouchID. Have your finger on TouchID and put the phone on the reader. Done.

No one is arguing mate. Thought we’re all here to share our experiences. Sorry if mine is different from yours. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Extra steps for better security. It’s been said Face ID is better secured than Touch ID. If you don’t care, that’s your preference. Doesn’t change it’s a fact. And don’t even say, “well, Face ID can be fooled. So? Touch ID has been fooled too. It’s not about if it can be fooled. It’s about even if you can fool both biometrics, Face ID is still a better biometrics security feature to Touch ID.

For face scan, who brings it up to their face? I don’t have to do that. My iPhone can scan my face from holding it from my hip. You have to be dumb to bring the phone phone up all the way to your face to get your face scanned.

You don’t seem to get the point. Touch ID works from any distance and any angle. Face ID doesn’t. No one is talking about security here.

Ortiz83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2018
You don’t seem to get the point. Touch ID works from any distance and any angle. Face ID doesn’t. No one is talking about security here.

I’m talking about security. That’s who. If you don’t have nothing to say about the security, well then skip my post.

Last edited:

Diorama

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2017

FaceID has massively sped up Apple Pay on the tube in London, and it’s annoying to get stuck behind TouchID people at the gates.
They hold their phone to the pad, wait for it to sense the pad, then it checks their finger, then it opens.
FaceID people activate FaceID as they walk up to the gate, then tap the pad. Instant open. TouchID people could do this, but never pre-activate in my experience.

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014

Any distance? That’s an odd statement, given that TouchID only works at one distance, literally touching the home button.

Phones with TouchID allow you to double tap the home button when the screen is off to bring up the wallet, and then you just hold your finger on the home button to approve it. It’s less steps than the FaceID version. I think FaceID is great but in this case it did add an extra step (which doesn’t really bother me because as has already been mentioned you can pre-authorize it, I just wanted to point out that TouchID was an excellent authentication method for Apple Pay).

JSB1540

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2015
My experience was that after the first couple of times, it was intuitive and easy to use the Face ID in Apple Pay. I personally found the Touch ID failing me numerous times. So over the past 11 months (since launch day of the X) I have had ZERO concerns with using Face ID.
[doublepost=1537693343][/doublepost]
Any distance? That’s an odd statement, given that TouchID only works at one distance, literally touching the home button.

Phones with TouchID allow you to double tap the home button when the screen is off to bring up the wallet, and then you just hold your finger on the home button to approve it. It’s less steps than the FaceID version. I think FaceID is great but in this case it did add an extra step (which doesn’t really bother me because as has already been mentioned you can pre-authorize it, I just wanted to point out that TouchID was an excellent authentication method for Apple Pay).
And with Face ID you just double click the side button, glancing at it and it ready to go. Where is the extra step?

Supermallet

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2014
My experience was that after the first couple of times, it was intuitive and easy to use the Face ID in Apple Pay. I personally found the Touch ID failing me numerous times. So over the past 11 months (since launch day of the X) I have had ZERO concerns with using Face ID.
[doublepost=1537693343][/doublepost]
And with Face ID you just double click the side button, glancing at it and it ready to go. Where is the extra step?

Looking at it vs simply letting your finger rest on the home button is the extra step. It’s extremely minor and I think the difference is being blown out of proportion (especially since both options are already beat by using the watch), but for those who were really good at using Apple Pay with TouchID I could see why Apple Pay with FaceID feels like a step backwards.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.