Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I haven't kept a credit card on file with apple. Instead I load iTunes gift cards onto my account to pay for apps and in app purchases with my gift card balance.

If I add a credit card to apple pay, when I pay for apps or in app purchases can I choose to still use my gift card balance instead of the credit card I add to Apple pay?

Thanks

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I haven't kept a credit card on file with apple. Instead I load iTunes gift cards onto my account to pay for apps and in app purchases with my gift card balance.

If I add a credit card to apple pay, when I pay for apps or in app purchases can I choose to still use my gift card balance instead of the credit card I add to Apple pay?

Thanks

I have a credit card on file with Apple and whenever I get iTunes Gift Cards my App, Song or Movie purchases use up the gift cards before using my credit card.

Reverend Ozz

macrumors newbie
Dec 25, 2008
I have a credit card on file with Apple and whenever I get iTunes Gift Cards my App, Song or Movie purchases use up the gift cards before using my credit card.

Correct. Any items you purchase will first be deducted from any Gift Card balance before it hits your CC.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Correct. Any items you purchase will first be deducted from any Gift Card balance before it hits your CC.

Do the itunes gift card balance apply to any purchase, such as something at a supermarket? Or only to itunes purchases?

lemieuxfan67

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Do the itunes gift card balance apply to any purchase, such as something at a supermarket? Or only to itunes purchases?

Just on the App Store / iTunes. Anything paid for in-store or online via Apple Pay will be deducted from your credit card.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Note that adding a credit card to Apple Pay is totally different than putting a credit card on file with apple for iTunes. They made an easy way for you to import the card you had on file with iTunes into Apple Pay, but you are not required to have a card on file, nor will adding a card to Apple Pay also add the card to iTunes.

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Note that adding a credit card to Apple Pay is totally different than putting a credit card on file with apple for iTunes. They made an easy way for you to import the card you had on file with iTunes into Apple Pay, but you are not required to have a card on file, nor will adding a card to Apple Pay also add the card to iTunes.

Good info. Thank you.

belifick

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
california
So, it means, we are unable to use the gift cards attached to the apple pay for in-store purchases, like walmart, moneygram or western-union,cvs or any such store.
Please Advise.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
So, it means, we are unable to use the gift cards attached to the apple pay for in-store purchases, like walmart, moneygram or western-union,cvs or any such store.
Please Advise.
I believe the answer is "no". You cannot use iTunes gift card credit to pay for in-store purchases, like Walmart.
Apple Pay and iTunes gift card are two distinct thing.

belifick

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
california
I believe the answer is "no". You cannot use iTunes gift card credit to pay for in-store purchases, like Walmart.
Apple Pay and iTunes gift card are two distinct thing.
Thank you, Shirasaki !
So, we have no options to cash out the itunes gift cards !?

belifick

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2016
california
No option.
Or there is an option to "cash out" iTunes Card: Don't buy it. ;):p
But, Shirasaki, there are few people ( merchants ) who provides 80-85 % of tha amount out of itunes gift cards. Do you have any idea. ( they deposit the money in your account, the next day itself )

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
But, Shirasaki, there are few people ( merchants ) who provides 80-85 % of tha amount out of itunes gift cards. Do you have any idea. ( they deposit the money in your account, the next day itself )
Yeah, there are also local supermarkets in Sydney selling iTunes gift card in a 20% discount in, say, Easter holiday.
But this is nothing special. You just buy iTunes gift card in a discount price, that is all.
Uh, if what I describe is the one you are talking about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.