Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

v871305

macrumors member
Original poster
May 30, 2014
The Last Shangri-La
Not sure if this has been mentioned/seen before but anyways.

I recently had to cancel a Chase credit card because of fraudulent activity. This was the default card for my ApplePay. Anyway, I called Chase around midnight and cancelled it and they said they would send me a new one in the mail in a week or so. I never update or remove the card from ApplePay.

The next day, I am at the drugstore and use ApplePay, works without a problem, but I see that its the card I cancelled. I ask the cashier if it went through and they said "yep, you're good". As I'm walking out of the store, I get a notification from Passbook that says "your Chase card is ready to use" which I find weird, so I check Passbook and the last 4 digits of the card have changed (at this point I don't even know what my card number is since I haven't got it in the mail, so I don't really know if this is the right card or just some glitch).

I get home, log on to my Chase account and see that the last 4 digits match. So I left it be to see if the pending charge would go through (it did a few days later). I got my card in the mail today and the last 4 digits match.

I'm not saying its good or bad that ApplePay autoupdates the card number. I was under the impression that each card would have to be manually added (take picture then confirm etc) but maybe it just syncs with the Chase app?

Anyone had this experience before? If not, hopefully someone can shine a light on why/how it happens? I have no problems with it really, just curious about how the info was obtained without me having to take a picture of the new card.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Doesn't surprise me. One of the big benefits of Apple Pay is that it actually integrates with your bank directly - it's not just Apple running a credit card charge through on your behalf. It would be silly if it didn't do this.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Anyone had this experience before? If not, hopefully someone can shine a light on why/how it happens? I have no problems with it really, just curious about how the info was obtained without me having to take a picture of the new card.
Apple Pay uses a virtual card number that is different from the physical card number but associated to the same account (you can see the last 4 digits of the virtual number on the information page of the Passbook card under "Device Account Number"). The virtual number doesn't change just because you got a new physical card, so it continues to work. The update of the last 4 digits of the physical card number that you see in Passbook is really just a "cosmetic" thing.

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
If ever you suspect fraud, you should call your bank to suspend or remove your card from Apple Pay. Chase apparently didn't do that because you didn't specifically ask them to.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
If ever you suspect fraud, you should call your bank to suspend or remove your card from Apple Pay. Chase apparently didn't do that because you didn't specifically ask them to.
There is really no reason to remove the card from Apple Pay if the number of the physical card has been compromised. The virtual card number used by Apple Pay is different, and it is difficult to use fraudulently since it only works in combination with one-time security codes that are dynamically generated by the phone each time you use it.

Reactions: unknown8bit

Ash Pole

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2015
There is really no reason to remove the card from Apple Pay if the number of the physical card has been compromised.
Actually there can be numerous reasons to remove a card from Apple Pay.
Example: Parent sets up AP on their child's phone for college expenses. Child books a vacation to Cabo for spring break without consent from mom or dad.
Parents then simply call the bank and remove the credit card from Apple Pay leaving their own personal cards untouched.

By the way, 6% of all Apple Pay transactions involve fraud.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Actually there can be numerous reasons to remove a card from Apple Pay.
That may be so, but suspected fraud involving the physical card is not one of them.
By the way, 6% of all Apple Pay transactions involve fraud.
First, the number has never been substantiated. Second, those were cases where thieves were able to provision already stolen credit cards in Apple Pay due to some banks not properly verifying their identity. It has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

I recently had to cancel a Chase credit card because of fraudulent activity. This was the default card for my ApplePay. Anyway, I called Chase around midnight and cancelled it and they said they would send me a new one in the mail in a week or so. I never update or remove the card from ApplePay.

The next day, I am at the drugstore and use ApplePay, works without a problem, but I see that its the card I cancelled. I ask the cashier if it went through and they said "yep, you're good". As I'm walking out of the store, I get a notification from Passbook that says "your Chase card is ready to use" which I find weird, so I check Passbook and the last 4 digits of the card have changed (at this point I don't even know what my card number is since I haven't got it in the mail, so I don't really know if this is the right card or just some glitch).

I get home, log on to my Chase account and see that the last 4 digits match. So I left it be to see if the pending charge would go through (it did a few days later). I got my card in the mail today and the last 4 digits match.

I'm not saying its good or bad that ApplePay autoupdates the card number. I was under the impression that each card would have to be manually added (take picture then confirm etc) but maybe it just syncs with the Chase app?

Like someone above said, it integrates with Chase Bank DIRECTLY - it's not just some snapshot of your card like Wallet/Softcard. Since Chase knows "Hey, this device ID is using our customer's expired card", they have the ability to remotely update your device.

Only the bank has the ability to do this, and it's not Apple's intervention.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
I've had to do it because of fraud and once because I had to sign out of iCloud. Signing out of iCloud also deletes cards from Apple Pay.

In both cases I had to re-enter the cards and call the card companies to verify.

Is there a way to change the order your cards appear in Apple Pay? Would think your Default card comes up first but it doesn't.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Chase updated my card, sent new one, routine. Did not update seamlessly and automatically.

ba3e7add7deb79a4a1b488bef4b3adfe.jpg

edit: thumbnail

----------

I've had to do it because of fraud and once because I had to sign out of iCloud. Signing out of iCloud also deletes cards from Apple Pay.

In both cases I had to re-enter the cards and call the card companies to verify.

Is there a way to change the order your cards appear in Apple Pay? Would think your Default card comes up first but it doesn't.

In passbook can tap, hold, drag.

Last edited:

caesarp

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2012
What about card art work?

I got a replacement for my US Airways MasterCard -- now called AA Advantage, cause they were bought by American Airlines. The card looks entirely different.

But the picture of the card didn't update in Apple Pay. It still shows the old type of card. Shouldn't the picture update automatically?

I even tried removing the old card and adding the new one manually (had to call the bank to verify my identity again). Old artwork from old card still remains. Will the new artwork (if they ever get it in apple pay), update automatically?

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
For BOA customers verification now has an email option. A few months ago you had to call them to verify but thankfully they changed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I got a replacement for my US Airways MasterCard -- now called AA Advantage, cause they were bought by American Airlines. The card looks entirely different.

But the picture of the card didn't update in Apple Pay. It still shows the old type of card. Shouldn't the picture update automatically?

I even tried removing the old card and adding the new one manually (had to call the bank to verify my identity again). Old artwork from old card still remains. Will the new artwork (if they ever get it in apple pay), update automatically?
Probably whenever the bank decides to update that.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I had a Citi MasterCard stolen. The card information auto-updated, which was great. The picture didn't change, but (1) that doesn't seem like a big deal to me and (2) is almost certainly a Citi issue rather than an Apple issue.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
Just reported a lost credit card - was about to remove it from Apple Pay when I realized it was a new number. Looks like Apple Pay auto updated to the new card number before I even had the card. Pretty f'in cool!

Dirti

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017

[doublepost=1493255838][/doublepost]
THIS JUST HAPPENED TO ME TODAY! I just got my new card. Had to cancel for the same reasons as you and i looked in my phone and it was already there... cool amd wierd

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.