Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peck1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
I have been unable to send or add cash to my apple pay cash card for 1 month now. I have an ongoing case with apple support and even they are having trouble resolving the issue. I am able to recieve and send money to other people BUT once my balance hits zero on the digital wallet I cannot send money from any debit/credit card.

Steps taken so far with no luck.

Reset All Settings
Complete DFU Restore
Upgraded to ios beta 12
Had apple pay cash close out my entire account and created a new digital wallet....

Currently on a 11.4.1 dfu restore with same issues. Is anyone else having problems?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Let me see if I understand what you are doing.

1. Your wallet is setup, with Apple Pay Cash, a debit card (for your bank), and credit cards. You have successfully used all of these with Apple Pay (at a store, a website that accepts apple pay, etc.) so you know all are good with Apple Pay.

2. You have 0 dollars in your Apple Pay Cash account. When you go to do a transfer, on the confirmation page which has the "double click to pay" you select your credit card. When/how does it fail? After the double click? Do you get an error message?

I didn't know you could use Apple Pay Cash with a Credit Card. But this Apple page explains how you set the payment method, and how they are prioritized.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207875#paymentmethod

Can't test as I'm afraid it might cause my credit card account to immediately start charging interest, as it does with a cash advance.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Maybe not ideal, but, have you tried to load cash to the Apple Pay card and then send to someone? Yeah, it should automatically refill the Cash card/account when hits zero, but maybe that's where the bug is and if load then send works, at least a work around vs. banging one's head against the send with zero balance wall.

Otherwise, MAYBE on Chase end: they've changed their backend software that's sending an incorrect return code to Apple?

peck1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
This is what happens when I try to add funds to the card directly.

https://streamable.com/glj23

Additionally I can’t send money from any other card it’s not a “chase” issue. Thanks for the help/suggestions tho.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
You have successfully used all of these with Apple Pay (at a store, a website that accepts apple pay, etc.) so you know all are good with Apple Pay.

Just to confirm, you have used all of these with Apple Pay and they work? We need to know that the cards work in the wallet on the phone. Identity verified is not enough. Have to know whether the card actually works with Apple Pay, that you can actually transfer funds.

Otherwise, MAYBE on Chase end: they've changed their backend software that's sending an incorrect return code to Apple?

Additionally I can’t send money from any other card it’s not a “chase” issue. Thanks for the help/suggestions tho.

Even if it is not a Chase issue, they might be able to give you some clues as to what is happening.

I would call them. Note down the exact time and second when you got the error message. See if they show a record of your transaction. If their systems are up to it, try a transfer when they are on the line. If your are lucky they will see the transaction, and maybe tell you why it did not go through. If they don't have any record that the transaction was even attempted, that is useful also.

P.S. That video was great in helping understand the problem. I had never heard of streamable. Removing those last digits of your credit card from the video would be a good idea if you can. Best not give any personal information on a public forum.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

peck1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Thanks for the suggestion. Its not a chase issue as I just used this card with apple pay on another phone.

Additionally no other cards work. Credit cards etc.

I was using Apple Pay with zero issues since it came out....

Now ive been dealing with this for 3 weeks.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Its not a chase issue

You know that the card works with Apple Pay, using a payment terminal in a store. You do not know why an Apple Cash transaction using that same card in an iPhone wallet is failing.

There was a dust-up some years ago when merchants started complaining about the high fees that the Mastercard/Visa exchange charged for handling transactions. Since there is no fee when you use Apple Cash, Apple takes a cut, and the associated bank that handles Apple Cash uses Discover card, maybe it does not use the standard Mastercard/Visa exchange. Don't know. But the possibility is there that Apple Cash is handled differently than a standard store transaction.

Chase may not be receiving the Apple Cash transfer request, or they may be receiving it and denying it. Only by calling them are you going to know which it is. If they are not helpful, then contact the other cards [after verifying that Apple Pay works with that card in a store].

The only people that likely know what is happening is Apple or the card issuers. You have said that Apple hasn't been helpful. So try the card issuers. Keep careful notes of what they said, and the transaction dates and times when you get the error message. If they have no record of any transactions, go back to Apple and say "I tried these transactions on this date and this time with this card. I got this error message and the card issuer tells that they received no transaction". That's hard evidence that it is an Apple problem. Have Apple escalate the issue to development, if you have already been working with a senior advisor.

Last edited:

peck1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
All my cards work with Apple Pay just not Apple Pay cash. additionally as I stated my cards work on another phone with Apple Pay cash so it’s most definitely not a bank related issue .

peck1234

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 30, 2017
Well figured I’d post back because it randomly just started working again tonight and I have done absolutely nothing to fix it. I just emailed my Apple service rep to see if maybe she did something on her end but I highly suspect not I will post back if she or Apple Pay cash Adjusted something on my account

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Were you ever able to find a solution to this issue? I’m having this issue now.
Are you on iOS 15 beta? I am having this issue, I had a transaction marked that I needed to verify and it keeps showing that error although I am verifying. GS said it went through though...

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Are you on iOS 15 beta? I am having this issue, I had a transaction marked that I needed to verify and it keeps showing that error although I am verifying. GS said it went through though...
I’m not on iOS 15 - I’m on iOS 14.6. I’ve given up at this point

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Mine oddly enough fixed itself days after. I did try resetting my phone though (no fix right away but two days later)

omarabdelaziz

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2021
I'm having this issue currently after restoring my 12 from PB iOS 15 back to iOS 14.6. Guess I'll see if it corrects itself in a couple days.
Same here! “Find My” was broken for like 3 weeks as well, but that just resolved today. I’m not sure if the Apple Engineer team resolved my issue or if it randomly fixed itself. However, Apple Cash is still broken, so if anyone finds a resolution, please reply! Thanks.

jnappleseed

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Same here! “Find My” was broken for like 3 weeks as well, but that just resolved today. I’m not sure if the Apple Engineer team resolved my issue or if it randomly fixed itself. However, Apple Cash is still broken, so if anyone finds a resolution, please reply! Thanks.
The only “fix” I was able to find to get Apple Cash to work again was to go back to iOS 15

unable_pen7659

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2021
Has anyone found a fix for this beyond going back to iOS 15? An app I need doesn't work in iOS 15, but Apple Cash only works in iOS 15 now. I've reset my phone multiple times, but the only thing that works is going back to iOS 15, unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.