Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina
So here’s my question/predicament. I recently bought something on Best Buy with the 10% cash back through Chase’s Total Checking Account offer they’ve been doing recently. Best Buy gives an option to use Apple Pay at checkout so I did that with the right card but now I’m wondering whether it’ll be valid in giving me the 10% cash back or if I had to type the card into the Best Buy app to get the offer. The terms and conditions of the offer on Chase’s app state that “Offer only valid on purchases made directly with the merchant. Offer not valid on purchases made using third-party services, etc.”
That leaves me wondering if maybe it wouldn’t work, however I’ve read mixed things online stating that because Apple Pay is a mobile wallet it is essentially a channel and not so much a third party in the way that Chase references third parties. What do yall think? Would the offer still be valid using Apple Pay or do I need to go back and reorder the item directly with my card? Thanks!

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
No, it's not considered a third-party service. It works the same as if you entered the number online or swiped/dipped/tapped in person. It will show on your statement as a Best Buy purchase.

Reactions: theapplehead
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.