Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoparShaha

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I'm having an issue with Apple Pay on my 2018 13" MBP. In the Apple Pay settings, it says "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified". This is a relatively new machine, and I did a clean install a week ago. The secure boot settings are on "Full", and I haven't changed any other security settings. Everything is up to date.

The only apps I've installed outside the App Store are Adobe Creative Cloud, Office 365, and Xerox printer drivers.

Has anyone run into this issue?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 2.12.13 PM.png

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I'm having an issue with Apple Pay on my 2018 13" MBP. In the Apple Pay settings, it says "Apple Pay has been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified". This is a relatively new machine, and I did a clean install a week ago.
What version of macOS is your computer running?

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
I have run into this issue too recently, no recent changes to my computer that I'm aware of. I am on 10.14.2. would appreciate if anyone has any advice on fixing it

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Using the latest version of iOS and is secure boot set to its high setting?

MoparShaha

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
I've solved the issue. Turns out you have to have "Install system data files and security updates" checked in the Advanced section of the Software Update System Preferences panel. I had turned it off because I often tether, and didn't want my Mac downloading files automatically. Once I rechecked it, Apple Pay started working again.

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 10.36.30 AM.png

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
I've solved the issue. Turns out you have to have "Install system data files and security updates" checked in the Advanced section of the Software Update System Preferences panel. I had turned it off because I often tether, and didn't want my Mac downloading files automatically. Once I rechecked it, Apple Pay started working again.

View attachment 811154

hm strange, that setting on mine is checked, and I never unchecked it. still shows that Apple Pay can't be enabled for me.

BuzzingCricket

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
hm strange, that setting on mine is checked, and I never unchecked it. still shows that Apple Pay can't be enabled for me.

Have you found a fix for this? I'm now experiencing this. Between the time when Apple Pay worked, I had installed Bitdefender (Mac) and Windows 10 (Boot Camp), but I'm hoping it's not caused by either. I've also followed Apple's instruction regarding the Startup Security Tool and the options in Software Update, and still nothing...

joshi3joshi

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2007
Have you found a fix for this? I'm now experiencing this. Between the time when Apple Pay worked, I had installed Bitdefender (Mac) and Windows 10 (Boot Camp), but I'm hoping it's not caused by either. I've also followed Apple's instruction regarding the Startup Security Tool and the options in Software Update, and still nothing...

no fix. the only thing I did install before this problem was Volta, which messes with the SIP security settings, and I still have it enabled for better battery control. I have a feeling that is what is causing the issue.

BuzzingCricket

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
no fix. the only thing I did install before this problem was Volta, which messes with the SIP security settings, and I still have it enabled for better battery control. I have a feeling that is what is causing the issue.

Thanks for the update! It’s strange that no warning is shown when something is installed that can change security settings that can also disable Apple Pay.

I plan to contact Apple and will report back if it’s fixed.

BuzzingCricket

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2017
Yep, I do have a password. Strangely enough, I noticed last week that wallet works again. No change was made, so not sure how it fixed itself...

crslade

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2014
I had my lid closed, with my MacBook connected to an external monitor. Once I opened the lid, it started working again.

Became Pneuma

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2019
I have the exact same problem with my 2019 MBA. Secure Boot is on the highest setting, system updates are enabled and the lid is definitely open.

Support couldn't resolve the issue and escalated it to the engineering department, they will call me.

h3nrch

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2008
I had the same issue on my late-2018 MBP 15 after re-imaging my system. I had assumed that once Filevault was finished setting up it would allow me to add cards. So I tried unchecking the "Install system data files and security updates", entering my password, and then re-checking the option. It now works as expected.

Reactions: mdw1 and Stonefly

Purdue

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2012
I got bit by this. Been looking for months.. trying this now... see you all on the other side of the patch/reboot. :)

Kaed Warren

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2020
Hi,

If you are running the latest version of Catalina and this still has not been fixed yet. Then, I may have couple of suggestions.

If you have followed all of the instructions on this link:
and it still does not work. Then your System Integrity Protection may be disabled. You can check this by clicking  > About this Mac > System Report > Software (in sidebar).

Try this:

1. Shut your Mac down and go into Recovey mode by holding CMD+R until the apple logo appears.
2. When prompted, sign in using an administrator account.
3. If prompted, select a WiFi network too.
4. Go to the menu bar > Utilities > Open Terminal
5. Type the following command: csrutil enable.
6. Restart the Mac for changes to take effect

I hope this helps.

Reactions: johnalan

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
I had the same issue on my late-2018 MBP 15 after re-imaging my system. I had assumed that once Filevault was finished setting up it would allow me to add cards. So I tried unchecking the "Install system data files and security updates", entering my password, and then re-checking the option. It now works as expected.

Thanks that fixed it for me as well.

puremind2000

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2018

View attachment 811154

Big thanks, that fixed my issue!

Reactions: MuggeGHQ

bkaupe

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
This worked for me! MacbookAir 2020 Catalina 10.15.6

Reactions: MuggeGHQ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.