Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Been lingering around, reading the posts, debating about the X. My big concern is how well FaceID does/doesn't work when trying to use Apple Pay.

What has everyone's experiences been so far when using the X and trying to use Apple Pay? Has it been easier/harder for you to use vs a 6/7/8 with TouchID?

Are you having to completely retrain yourself on how you use Apple Pay? I know I usually lay my 7 down on the reader (at an angle that I wouldn't think would scan my face), and then put my finger on the TouchID.

Just wondering what the real world experiences have been like.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
You double tap and scan your face first, then put it to the reader. I find it easier on the tube/subway.

Do you know how long do you have to put it up to the reader after you scan your face?

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
Used it at Best Buy. I double clicked and it saw my tace when holding it down low by their machine. Took maybe 3 seconds.

jyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2014
Been lingering around, reading the posts, debating about the X. My big concern is how well FaceID does/doesn't work when trying to use Apple Pay.

What has everyone's experiences been so far when using the X and trying to use Apple Pay? Has it been easier/harder for you to use vs a 6/7/8 with TouchID?

Are you having to completely retrain yourself on how you use Apple Pay? I know I usually lay my 7 down on the reader (at an angle that I wouldn't think would scan my face), and then put my finger on the TouchID.

Just wondering what the real world experiences have been like.

Works great. Nothing to worry about. Just look at the phone as opposed to pressing the button. You’ll like it.

rider900

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2017
I think it genuinely works better than Apple pay with Touch ID. I use Apple Pay on a daily basis and with Touch ID on a few occasions it would fail wet finger etc and I’d have to pay by passcode or just get my bank card out. It’s so fast with Face ID! I love it!

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Used it at Best Buy. I double clicked and it saw my tace when holding it down low by their machine. Took maybe 3 seconds.

Just making sure as a lot of people are making this mistake, you probably already know but just in case others reading don't that the normal way is to double tap button while holding phone to face, it registers and you then move the phone to the terminal, there is no need for the phone to see your face when it's at the terminal. Your way is OK if the terminal is at a height and angle you can do it but with most I've seen is stores and other places around me it would not work or work well.

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
Do you know how long do you have to put it up to the reader after you scan your face?

Quite a while. Authenticating first is how I always used it on the other phones. Especially going through a drive through.

Twintrbo

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2016
When I double click Apple Pay pops up but it says pay with passcode and doesn’t signal anything for Face ID. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Appreciate you sharing your experiences. That's very helpful!

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
When I double click Apple Pay pops up but it says pay with passcode and doesn’t signal anything for Face ID. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Under Settings|Face ID and Passcode there is a slider to enable or disable Face ID for Apple Pay. Perhaps you have it disabled?

Reactions: kdarling

gemnilocs

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2011
california
I think it genuinely works better than Apple pay with Touch ID. I use Apple Pay on a daily basis and with Touch ID on a few occasions it would fail wet finger etc and I’d have to pay by passcode or just get my bank card out. It’s so fast with Face ID! I love it!

this has been my experience as well....

mr1581

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2007
I like it more than the Touch ID. I get it ready as they are still ringing everything up. A lot of times with Touch ID the machine would stall and all of a sudden the cashier was looking at a picture or text since my phone opened.

kmichalec

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Great feedback everyone. Thank you. I had trained myself to use Apple Pay differently, where the Wallet gets automatically initiated when I put the phone up to the reader (proximity sensor), and as the card pulls up, I place my finger for authentication, and it processes, all in one fell swoop. It's was one fluid motion, and I never had to click anything with TouchID to get it ready ahead of time. Not saying that's bad or good, just that I would need to retrain myself for the extra step of doubled clicking first before starting.

Also, just thinking out loud here, but is there any chance of authorizing payment to something you didn't intend to? For example, if you prepare your wallet ahead of time by authenticating with FaceID, and it's just waiting to connect to the NFC terminal, and there happens to be two NFC sensors awaiting payment for something within proximity, could there be conflicts? Maybe it's not a realistic scenario, as I'm by no means an NFC expert.

WhiteHawk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2008
Just used Apple Pay with my X to pay for petrol, if anything it was faster than Touch ID.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
I have used it several times and had not issues.

I double click the side button while looking at the screen and then place on NFC reader. You get an animation of Face ID working similar to when Touch ID would confirm it authenticated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.