Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Schnort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
Anybody seen any confirmation on this one way or the other?

For example, could you leave your phone at home and still buy something with just the watch?

The watch clearly has the NFC chip, but http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/?cid=wwa-us-kwg-features-com at the bottom says "Apple Pay is compatible Apple Watch (Paired with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus.)"

I'm unsure if pairing means 'currently near and actively connected', or paired like you pair your iPod with your computer.

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
The way the system was described at the keynote the security information is in the phone. And the watch doesn't contain fingerprint technology. Apple pay will surely required a phone.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Anybody seen any confirmation on this one way or the other?

For example, could you leave your phone at home and still buy something with just the watch?

The watch clearly has the NFC chip, but http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/?cid=wwa-us-kwg-features-com at the bottom says "Apple Pay is compatible Apple Watch (Paired with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus.)"

I'm unsure if pairing means 'currently near and actively connected', or paired like you pair your iPod with your computer.

near and actively connected

Schnort

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2013
So if Apple Pay requires fingerprint authorization on the iPhone itself, how would that work on the watch without taking the iPhone out of your pocket?
Considering aWatch works with the iPhone 5c, it obviously doesn't NEED fingerprint authorization (its just a handy feature on the phones that support it).

But, also, this on the front page (https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/10/apple-watch-apple-pay-security/) suggests a pin to authorize and it stays authorized until you remove it from your wrist.

Which is leading me to believe that aPay works via aWatch without the phone necessarily in proximity.

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Even I've hand a similar doubt.. Apple pay works with Touch ID on the iphone 6 , but how is it going to get authorized with the iwatch when there's no Touch ID?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Paired with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus. In-store purchases only.

Interesting. So the online version of Apple Pay won't work on the Apple Watch with any iPhone model and it can be paired with the iPhone 5/5c/5s for in-store purchases without requiring NFC. TouchID appears to be a convenience but is not a requirement for Apple Pay.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Even I've hand a similar doubt.. Apple pay works with Touch ID on the iphone 6 , but how is it going to get authorized with the iwatch when there's no Touch ID?

The aforementioned link on the front page explains the whole process. In short you unlock the capability when you put the watch on, and it automatically locks again when you take it off.

----------

Interesting. So the online version of Apple Pay won't work on the Apple Watch with any iPhone model and it can be paired with the iPhone 5/5c/5s for in-store purchases without requiring NFC. TouchID appears to be a convenience but is not a requirement for Apple Pay.

How would you make an online purchase on the :apple:watch anyway?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Why don't you just pay using the TouchID on the iPhone?

The whole point, of course, is to avoid taking the iPhone out of your pocket. For example, when the Bill Gates-lookalike with the salad bowl haircut was demoing the :apple: Watch during keynote and he asked Siri about showtimes for a movie, there could easily be a way to purchase tickets for a particular showtime right on the watch without ever going to the iPhone.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The whole point, of course, is to avoid taking the iPhone out of your pocket. For example, when the Bill Gates-lookalike with the salad bowl haircut was demoing the :apple: Watch during keynote and he asked Siri about showtimes for a movie, there could easily be a way to purchase tickets for a particular showtime right on the watch without ever going to the iPhone.
I don't quite understand what you're saying… I thought you just said when you're making on my purchases with the iPhone. I don't think there going to be any online shopping apps for the Apple watch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.