Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I just thought that I would throw this out there - after using my Apple Card since it was first introduced (how long has that been now, anyway?), I find myself looking for Apple Pay whenever I purchase something online simply because it is so doggone that it's just crazy.

What prompted this post was just now making a purchase on Lands' End, because once I'd settled on what I had decided to purchase, it was a one-click deal - no need to enter my name, address, credit card information - nothing! How convenient is that?

DarkPremiumCho

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2023
I'll absolutely second that. Unfortunately, Apple Pay has not been available in my region for very long, so there are still very limited opportunities for me to take advantage of its convenience.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
And the card itself is super convenient. Pay and see transactions right in the wallet app. Just wish they would make the website show transactions also.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
Yeah, I've been loving it too. The integration with the Apple Card is nice, and Apple Pay has become ubiquitous to the point where I've cancelled one of my other 2% cards.

tatarin

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
I just thought that I would throw this out there - after using my Apple Card since it was first introduced (how long has that been now, anyway?), I find myself looking for Apple Pay whenever I purchase something online simply because it is so doggone that it's just crazy.

What prompted this post was just now making a purchase on Lands' End, because once I'd settled on what I had decided to purchase, it was a one-click deal - no need to enter my name, address, credit card information - nothing! How convenient is that?
I ran into a problem when I used Apple Pay for a big purchase on the Herman Miller website. There was a shipping delay and Herman Miller let the credit card authorization expire. There was no way to use Apple Pay over the phone when they called and requested a new charge transaction before they shipped the furniture. So I had to use a physical card and sacrifice some bonus points that I would have earned from using Apple Pay.

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
I ran into a problem when I used Apple Pay for a big purchase on the Herman Miller website. There was a shipping delay and Herman Miller let the credit card authorization expire. There was no way to use Apple Pay over the phone when they called and requested a new charge transaction before they shipped the furniture. So I had to use a physical card and sacrifice some bonus points that I would have earned from using Apple Pay.
You do have the ability to provide a virtual card number for your Apple Card, if needed.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You do have the ability to provide a virtual card number for your Apple Card, if needed.
Yes, but you don't get the Apple Pay bonus (Daily Cash percentage). Which typically means you get 1% Daily Cash, instead of 2% using Apple Pay. It's not an Apple problem, it's a Herman Miller problem.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Paying in person with my watch is where it really just makes things so nice. It boggles my mind when some people on here will try to argue that it's not more convenient than taking something out of your wallet to pay.
Yes and especially with the watch. It's literally on your wrist, so you don't even have to get anything out of your pocket.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
About a week ago my bank contacted me by SMS to question some transactions on my debit card.

Clearly not ones that I had made or authorised (for lots of reasons including the stupidly high value and making three attempts within minutes). Called the bank and, in the one phone call, they cancelled my card, ordered a new one, and updated my Apple Pay to the new card number and picture. They knew the exact two devices that had Apple Pay set up on them. Which was lucky really because I hadn’t given Apple Pay a single thought!

I have used Apple Pay a few times over the last year or so, but never really thought it was of much benefit. When you are used to simply flicking your card, it actually takes mental effort to remember Apple Pay exists! But now it really came into its own. I could carry on using Apple Pay instead of my now-useless physical card. And I did – several times. Had not the slightest idea that was possible.

Today I used my new card for the first time. And it was rejected “Unsupported Card” – whatever that means. Apple Pay to the rescue (despite it being set up on the same card number and account!) – Ended up that I needed to Unlock it on a cash machine before using it.

Whilst I do still want a physical card, I might have tipped over into wanting to use Apple Pay more often. It does work well.

Reactions: MisterSavage

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
About a week ago my bank contacted me by SMS to question some transactions on my debit card.

Clearly not ones that I had made or authorised (for lots of reasons including the stupidly high value and making three attempts within minutes). Called the bank and, in the one phone call, they cancelled my card, ordered a new one, and updated my Apple Pay to the new card number and picture. They knew the exact two devices that had Apple Pay set up on them. Which was lucky really because I hadn’t given Apple Pay a single thought!

I have used Apple Pay a few times over the last year or so, but never really thought it was of much benefit. When you are used to simply flicking your card, it actually takes mental effort to remember Apple Pay exists! But now it really came into its own. I could carry on using Apple Pay instead of my now-useless physical card. And I did – several times. Had not the slightest idea that was possible.

Today I used my new card for the first time. And it was rejected “Unsupported Card” – whatever that means. Apple Pay to the rescue (despite it being set up on the same card number and account!) – Ended up that I needed to Unlock it on a cash machine before using it.

Whilst I do still want a physical card, I might have tipped over into wanting to use Apple Pay more often. It does work well.
Besides convenience, the great thing about Apple Pay is the security. Vendors can’t steal your card number because Apple Pay creates a unique token for each transaction, as I understand it, so vendors never get your actual card number. So the more you use it instead of your actual card number, the more you decrease chances of fraud.
This feature actually got me to upgrade my iPhone back in the day. I avoid upgrading my phone as much as possible, but this was the sole reason I upgraded from my iPhone 5S to SE1. And been using Apple Pay ever since.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Besides convenience, the great thing about Apple Pay is the security. Vendors can’t steal your card number because Apple Pay creates a unique token for each transaction, as I understand it, so vendors never get your actual card number. So the more you use it instead of your actual card number, the more you decrease chances of fraud.
This feature actually got me to upgrade my iPhone back in the day. I avoid upgrading my phone as much as possible, but this was the sole reason I upgraded from my iPhone 5S to SE1. And been using Apple Pay ever since.
It's ridiculous that pay at pump doesn't accept Apple Pay. (Indeed, no contactless method.) At least, none of the pumps I use.

So will have to queue to gain that security.

Last edited:

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It's ridiculous that pay at pump doesn't accept Apple Pay. (Indeed, no contactless method.) At least, none I use.

So will have to queue to gain that security.
There are several brands of gas/convenience that do Apple Pay at the pump around here... QuikTrip (apparently there are multiple companies with variations of that name) and some Shell stations as well as many of the Circle-K stations all take contactless pay at the pump.

Didn't Apple announce a "pay from CarPlay" thing a last years iOS unveiling? Still waiting for that to happen...

I have also noticed that both Dominos Pizza and Dunkin' (Donut) now have pay via CarPlay available... so maybe all of this is actually coming...

Reactions: polyphenol

tatarin

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
Yes, but you don't get the Apple Pay bonus (Daily Cash percentage). Which typically means you get 1% Daily Cash, instead of 2% using Apple Pay. It's not an Apple problem, it's a Herman Miller problem.
Some credit cards in the US give bonus points for Apple/Google Pay transactions. So it is annoying to not be able to use these contactless payment methods for major purchases. My credit card gives 3X points for using Apple/Google Pay. These points can be redeemed for 3% cashback [4.5% when used to pay for travel (when booked directly with airlines/hotels/car rental companies, etc)].

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Today I used my new card for the first time. And it was rejected
Was that attempting a wireless payment? Because if so: With a new card you'll need a terminal that can read the chip and actually insert the card to read the chip once to activate it. Entering the card PIN during that payment will then unlock the wireless functionality for all future payments.

At this point I no longer carry a wallet and use Apple Pay exclusively on the go with all my cards added. Unfortunately there have been moments where I was unable to pay. But at this point I just shrug and go somewhere else or rethink the purchase altogether. These businesses had so many years to see it coming and if you don't offer wireless payments in 2023 you're just ensuring that I don't give you any money.

Recently had a cab ride and specifically asked dispatch to make sure wireless payments are accepted. Wanted to confirm this in the cab and the ride ended before it started. Deleted that number, called a different one and all was fine.

I understand it's way more of a hassle than just carrying cards or cash, but I really don't want to do that anymore. I've had my wallet stolen, and robbed, and nowadays I only ever carry the very minimum amount of things with me.

Last edited:

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
There are several brands of gas/convenience that do Apple Pay at the pump around here... QuikTrip (apparently there are multiple companies with variations of that name) and some Shell stations as well as many of the Circle-K stations all take contactless pay at the pump.

Didn't Apple announce a "pay from CarPlay" thing a last years iOS unveiling? Still waiting for that to happen...

I have also noticed that both Dominos Pizza and Dunkin' (Donut) now have pay via CarPlay available... so maybe all of this is actually coming...
I'm not aware of any that don't demand immediate use of my physical card. I only use them in a fairly small area, and even then choose those which tend to have the lowest prices. No more than ten in total. Just mentioning that because it is perfectly possible that they accept Apple Pay at the pump somewhere in the UK.

CarPlay won't help me! My car doesn't have it and I'm not going to be changing any time soon.

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
Was that attempting a wireless payment? Because if so: With a new card you'll need a terminal that can read the chip and actually insert the card to read the chip once to activate it. Entering the card PIN during that payment will then unlock the wireless functionality for all future payments.

At this point I no longer carry a wallet and use Apple Pay exclusively on the go with all my cards added. Unfortunately there have been moments where I was unable to pay. But at this point I just shrug and go somewhere else or rethink the purchase altogether. These businesses had so many years to see it coming and if you don't offer wireless payments in 2023 you're just ensuring that I don't give you any money.

Recently had a cab ride and specifically asked dispatch to make sure wireless payments are accepted. Wanted to confirm this in the cab and the ride ended before it started. Deleted that number, called a different one and all was fine.

I understand it's way more of a hassle than just carrying cards or cash, but I really don't want to do that anymore. I've had my wallet stolen, and robbed, and nowadays I only ever carry the very minimum amount of things with me.
Yes - it was contactless. But the instructions said if PIN had not changed, it was good to go.

Obviously, it wasn't good to go! But I had never seen the explicit Unlock item on a cash machine menu until the other day.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
Paying in person with my watch is where it really just makes things so nice. It boggles my mind when some people on here will try to argue that it's not more convenient than taking something out of your wallet to pay.

Yes and especially with the watch. It's literally on your wrist, so you don't even have to get anything out of your pocket.

Even if my hands happen to get dirty I can still pay by double tapping the button on my watch with my knuckle. It's crazy convenient.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the Watch is way more convenient than the iPhone: simple double-click vs double-click *and* Face ID.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2019
Thank you to the OP and all the insightful comments. As a luddite I just used cash until COVID came along, and I am starting to understand the benefits; thank you all.
Now get off my lawn!

wilberforce

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2020
SF Bay Area
I find the Apple Watch to be the most convenient of all! In store of course. Just double tap and flick your wrist. DONE!
Yeah I just smile when I get the inevitable comments about Dick Tracy watch, as I walk out while they are still fumbling with their credit cards, entering PINs, signing printed receipts, etc.

Reactions: DotCom2

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
Maybe I'm doing it wrong but the Watch is way more convenient than the iPhone: simple double-click vs double-click *and* Face ID.
AGREED! In My use case, this is the #1reason I even have an Apple Watch. Apple Pay.
#2. I love how it gives you haptic feedback guide from maps while driving.
Just YES!

Reactions: WebHead

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
AGREED! In My use case, this is the #1reason I even have an Apple Watch. Apple Pay.
#2. I love how it gives you haptic feedback guide from maps while driving.
Just YES!

The haptic thing while driving is about as annoying as any “feature” can be. It’s just one of the reasons I use Waze.

But I do agree that Apple Pay on the watch is incredibly reliable and convenient.

Reactions: WebHead
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.