Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I have no idea what forum to post this in, so I'm taking a shot. Mods please feel free to move this if there is a better spot.

I noticed tonight that Lowes is now accepting Apple Pay on their website. But I could not get any payments to go through. I use Apple Pay every time I can & never have issues with it, but every single payment method I chose (through Apple Pay) including Apple Cash got declined with a message that I needed to update my billing address (I did verify my address & it is correct).

I'm curious if anyone else has used Apple Pay on Lewis' website & if so, if they were able to process the payment?

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I used Apple Pay on the Lowe's website on April 14th for some $500. Went through no problem.
IMG_1466.jpeg

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I used Apple Pay on the Lowe's website on April 14th for some $500. Went through no problem.
Thanks. Glad to hear it's working. I'll have to dig into it some more on my end. Appreciate the quick reply.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Thanks. Glad to hear it's working. I'll have to dig into it some more on my end. Appreciate the quick reply.

You are welcome.

I remember being surprised to see that option. I don't believe it was there last time I ordered. I think it must be relatively new.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
It's a shame Lowes still doesn't accept any digital payment methods in the brick & mortar stores. I just don't understand what their thinking is (along with Walmart and most Kroger grocery stores).

I guess they thought they would do their own payment schemes, but they just aren't that popular because nobody wants to think about what app they have to launch, screens and buttons they have to tap, QR codes to scan, and all other manners of B.S. those apps put you through to pay for something.

Reactions: BeatCrazy and mk313

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
Lowes adde the option to the app on Feb 25th, I know it was my birthday, and plans are being made to add it to stores this summer.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Interesting. I had to buy something else from Lowes & got the same error. This time, I tried spending some time figuring out what was going wrong (Keep seeing error that I need to update my billing address, even though it appears correct from what I can see on the screen & I never have any issues elsewhere). I updated my addresses in Lowes.com, but still got the same error.

I then tried my Apple Card (Apple Cash still didn't work) and for some reason that did work. The only thing I can think of is that my debit & all of the credit cards I tried before are from Chase & the Apple Card is Goldman Sachs. But that doesn't explain the Apple Cash also not working. Oh well, at least I got it set up for the future.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
I bought tickets via Fandango yesterday. Apple Pay didn't work three times in a row. I turned my VPN off and tried again. It worked.

Some sites are funny about VPNs, but they won't just come out and say your VPN being on is what they don't like. Go figure.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
It's a shame Lowes still doesn't accept any digital payment methods in the brick & mortar stores. I just don't understand what their thinking is (along with Walmart and most Kroger grocery stores).

I guess they thought they would do their own payment schemes, but they just aren't that popular because nobody wants to think about what app they have to launch, screens and buttons they have to tap, QR codes to scan, and all other manners of B.S. those apps put you through to pay for something.
Home Depot is the same way.

Even worse, Home Depot (locations near me, at least) have a sign/decal on their doors saying they accept PayPal. Trying to do this in the store, however, is met with bewildered looks from employees. After several times contacting their corporate office, apparently that only applies to their website, and they do not, in fact, take PayPal in their physical stores. Why in the hell would you have signs going into your physical stores for payment methods only accepted online‽ The signs remain up, despite this being like two years ago when I brought it up to them.

Reactions: compwiz1202

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I bought tickets via Fandango yesterday. Apple Pay didn't work three times in a row. I turned my VPN off and tried again. It worked.

Some sites are funny about VPNs, but they won't just come out and say your VPN being on is what they don't like. Go figure.
Interesting. I don't use a VPN, but I will have to consider if there is something else in my system that would cause a similar issue. Thanks for the heads up

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Home Depot is the same way.

Even worse, Home Depot (locations near me, at least) have a sign/decal on their doors saying they accept PayPal. Trying to do this in the store, however, is met with bewildered looks from employees. After several times contacting their corporate office, apparently that only applies to their website, and they do not, in fact, take PayPal in their physical stores. Why in the hell would you have signs going into your physical stores for payment methods only accepted online‽ The signs remain up, despite this being like two years ago when I brought it up to them.
I can confirm that PayPal works in store in at least one Home Depot. I had to use it one night when I forgot my wallet at home. It was a bit of a hassle to type everything in at the register, but I was able to do it. Not nearly as user friendly as Apple Pay, but it did work.

monstermash

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2020
Interesting. I don't use a VPN, but I will have to consider if there is something else in my system that would cause a similar issue. Thanks for the heads up

You're welcome.

FWIW, some other sites I can remember offhand having VPN issues with are Credit Karma and A2 Web Hosting.

Böhme417

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
I can confirm that PayPal works in store in at least one Home Depot. I had to use it one night when I forgot my wallet at home. It was a bit of a hassle to type everything in at the register, but I was able to do it. Not nearly as user friendly as Apple Pay, but it did work.
Interesting. So, their store managers don't seem to know anything, and people in their corporate offices or call centers also don't know anything or are just very poor communicators. Nice.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Interesting. So, their store managers don't seem to know anything, and people in their corporate offices or call centers also don't know anything or are just very poor communicators. Nice.
It's also possible that your calls to corporate fixed the issue. I wouldn't be surprised if people from corporate had no idea the PayPal thing wasn't working until you called. Based on my interaction with it, it's a pretty cumbersome process to use, so I doubt they get much uptake on it to begin with, and I could see that type of thing sliding under the radar, as all PayPal transactions are probably lumped together (online & in store) so no one would notice if no one was using it in store.

But, like you said, it's just as likely that they are all clueless.

Reactions: compwiz1202

echopulse

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2021
Abilene, TX
I've looked for paypal option on checkouts many times at Home Depot, and there is never an option on the screen. How did you do it?

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Have you ever changed your address? Ever since we moved only certain merchants will only accept the old ZIP. And I've looked everywhere and they all show our current one. And it's only certain merchants, and it will always work with the old it the current one fails. I wonder if there is some other system for checking ZIP codes that some of them use that didn't get updated. And Apple Card support is useless

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I've looked for paypal option on checkouts many times at Home Depot, and there is never an option on the screen. How did you do it?
I only did it one time & it Wass a while ago, but I remember having to select PayPal from the credit card machine & then having to type in my email address/ password on that tiny screen. It wasn't user friendly at all, but it did work.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Have you ever changed your address? Ever since we moved only certain merchants will only accept the old ZIP. And I've looked everywhere and they all show our current one. And it's only certain merchants, and it will always work with the old it the current one fails. I wonder if there is some other system for checking ZIP codes that some of them use that didn't get updated. And Apple Card support is useless

I've not changed addresses on that card ever, but I wonder if something like that is going on. For me, it's weird, as it's only Lowes. Every other merchant I've tried it with accepts my chase card. But that is an interesting thought. I wonder if it's looking for something else, like maybe the ZIP+4 or something like that.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
Maybe now that Lowe’s is eliminating cashiers in favor of the customer scanning their own items they will add an easier payment option for us.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Maybe now that Lowe’s is eliminating cashiers in favor of the customer scanning their own items they will add an easier payment option for us.
Home Depot hasn't come to that conclusion :/ they've been cashier-less for a couple of years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.