Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

venomx999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2017
Uk
Used to work fine but two months ago it won’t detect anything at the terminal? Tried full reset but no luck

there’s a new iOS update , could that fix it ?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Used to work fine but two months ago it won’t detect anything at the terminal? Tried full reset but no luck

there’s a new iOS update , could that fix it ?
Does this happen at every store? Sometimes a store's network or a specific terminal may have connection issues. Testing with the latest iOS version is a good idea too.

Last edited:

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
And if there is a card that you can test as well - does the card work as expected at the register?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I used to use Apple Pay and in some of the stores I'd have trouble making a connection. Want to be that jerk holding up the line pointing your iPhone at a terminal while nothing happens? Use Apple Pay.
It became frustrating enough that I stopped using it. A credit card is much easier and much more reliable. Apple Pay seemed to me to be a solution looking for a problem. It definitely seemed like a techy gimmick.

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I find Apple Pay very easy and helpful to use, but every now and then it's slow or takes a couple of tries at my food store. More often than not, the checkout clerk says they've just done an upgrade on their system. At other stores, it works every time.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
I've never had a problem with Apple Pay. Even before COVID, every merchant was using tap to pay. Whether you use your physical card or Apple Pay makes no difference.

lartola

macrumors 68000
Feb 10, 2017
I've never had a problem with Apple Pay. Even before COVID, every merchant was using tap to pay. Whether you use your physical card or Apple Pay makes no difference.
Neither have I. I guess YMMV with respect to it failing. Mine has never failed, and the few times nothing happened it was the terminal not my device that was failing to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.