Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JepGambardella

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2018
The Netherlands
It's exciting to hear that Apple Pay finally comes to The Netherlands. I do hope that this will boost the usage of debit cards (Mastercard/visa, not Meastro/VPay) and credit cards.

I'm also curious to know what this means for iDeal. The usage of iDeal grows YoY, but Apple Pay can undermine that growth.

jvacek

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2011
I'm also curious to know what this means for iDeal. The usage of iDeal grows YoY, but Apple Pay can undermine that growth.
I seriously doubt it will make that much of a dent, iDeal is defacto standard and I don't think anyone would implement APay on their site instead of iDeal, or implement APay instead of iDeal. You'd lose all your non-apple customers, and also all your non-ING customers. I'll be surprised the day I see Bol, CoolBlue or MediaMarkt take APay online.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I seriously doubt it will make that much of a dent, iDeal is defacto standard and I don't think anyone would implement APay on their site instead of iDeal, or implement APay instead of iDeal. You'd lose all your non-apple customers, and also all your non-ING customers. I'll be surprised the day I see Bol, CoolBlue or MediaMarkt take APay online.
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I mean, all these webshops are constantly looking for ways to improve the customer experience. And implementing Apple Pay support certainly adds to a better experience.

I don't see it actually replace iDeal, as such a move would almost for sure alienate non-Apple users. But do I see it being added as an option? Absolutely. Websites these days have tons of payment options available to reach as much customers as possible, so why not just add Apple Pay to it as well?

Some might consider it an useless move, since there's iDeal. But the way Apple Pay works and taking into account the benefits over the existing options may convince some to choose Apple's solution. I would, at least.

More importantly, it's not about whether it's useful or not. It's about having the option available. At least it'll be there, even if there's only a few people who will use it.

MLVC

macrumors demi-god
Apr 30, 2015
Maastricht, The Netherlands
I'm not easily pleased I guess, because now I want to also add my ING creditcard to Apple Pay. Wanted to buy something in the UK the other day, and my Apple Pay card was rejected because it was a Maestro... I understood from ING that it is in the works though, so fingers crossed (I also expect Bunq to make their new TravelCard available for Apple Pay as soon as the exclusivity contract with ING ends).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.