Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AndrewForeva

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
Since the apple watch supports apple pay with NFC, Would apple pay still work with the apple watch if it is paired with an iPhone 5s?

What do you guys think?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Since the apple watch supports apple pay with NFC, Would apple pay still work with the apple watch if it is paired with an iPhone 5s?

What do you guys think?

I could see it going either way. I can easily see apple making it a 6/6+ exclusive. Logic says it should work since the watch has NFC and apple pay would work on the 5s for purchases online using touch ID

I'm actually surprised no one asked this sooner.

Edit: the more I think about it, the more I see it working with all of the devices the watch is compatible with. They want people to adopt apple pay. The best way to do that is making it work with as many devices as possible. It should work for the 5/5c/5s/6/6+

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

What do you guys think?

I'm almost certain Apple said it would with 5, 5C and 5S. Also someone (after demo) talked about authentication on the Watch (no fingerprint reader). They said that the Watch used a passcode which only needed to be entered if it loses contact with your skin.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Screenshot_2014-09-09_15.08.52.0.png

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I should have clarified the NFC portion of Apple Pay, as Apple Pay is quite broad and can be done online and through other non-NFC means. So while Apple Pay can be done online linking the watch and iPhone 5/5c/5s, I wouldn't be surprised if they cripple the NFC portion for older iPhones in a typical Apple fashion.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I should have clarified the NFC portion of Apple Pay, as Apple Pay is quite broad and can be done online and through other non-NFC means. So while Apple Pay can be done online linking the watch and iPhone 5/5c/5s, I wouldn't be surprised if they cripple the NFC portion for older iPhones in a typical Apple fashion.

The Watch has its own NFC chip. You don't have to pull your iPhone out so the iPhone 5 will work even without NFC. You swipe the Watch.

Apple is making a % off each transactions so it is in their financial interest to get as much Apple Pay as possible. Also they are interesting in cornering the NFC payment market and this means as much saturation as possible.

This is not a normal 'don't add Siri' to force an upgrade situation. They are 'forcing' you to buy a Watch after all. EDIT: Also by buying an Apple Watch your are' forced' to buy your next iPhone (6S) to keep the Watch working. It all works to keep you in the Apple ecosystem.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The Watch has its own NFC chip. You don't have to pull your iPhone out so the iPhone 5 will work even without NFC. You swipe the Watch.

Apple is making a % off each transactions so it is in their financial interest to get as much Apple Pay as possible. Also they are interesting in cornering the NFC payment market and this means as much saturation as possible.

This is not a normal 'don't add Siri' to force an upgrade situation. They are 'forcing' you to buy a Watch after all. EDIT: Also by buying an Apple Watch your are' forced' to buy your next iPhone (6S) to keep the Watch working. It all works to keep you in the Apple ecosystem.

Good point and I hope you're correct.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.