Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atso

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
I continue to be amazed at the folks who want the technology, and all of its perks, but refuse to follow the steps required to use that tech effectively (or at all). Apple says you need to secure your device to use ApplePay (passcode, TouchID or FaceID), no doubt for your own protection, but people still refuse.

So if you have a non Face ID compatible phone and kinda sweaty fingers (Touch ID doesn’t work 8/10 times) than apple thinks the safest way to go is to type in your passcode every single time you want to use your phone. In public that opens a huge security risk as people can see what you type in especially if you have to do it all the time. Not to mention that it’s frickin annoying...
Oh wait I understand! In this case the safest way to go is to buy a newer phone that is Face ID enabled! Silly me it’s just one month of my salary... totally reasonable.
I don’t really believe this is driven by security considerations as passcodes and all are protecting information inside the settings menu as well.

Atso

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2019
This is correct. If you had Apple Pay with no pass code, someone could steal your phone and authorize as many transactions as they wanted with no security.
How could they do that? still need a passcode to authorise anything. Why not make this obligatory where it makes sense? Like when you make a payment, or authorise stuff, or view sensitive information (oh, these are protected already in this way).
The reason to enforce this on the home screen seems to be a bit more complicated to me than that they just want to protect you from yourself because they love you so much :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.