Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amethyst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I've some info regards mac pro.

- There are a pci-e based with embedded apple mX chip, design to use with Mac Pro, is in testing.
- The team looking it as next-gen afterburner card but far more generic use.

- There are m3 max macbook pro in testing.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Would they be usable on the 2023 Mac Pro or would they require a new model ?

If it running its own scaled down instance of macOs it wouldn't matter. Anything that talked to it though perhaps a virtual Ethernet-over-PCIe connection would work.

It doesn't have to be only the Mx package embedded on the card. There could be a SSD also. And 1-2 Thunderbolts . And maybe Ethernet. It should all fit if Mn , Mn Pro , or perhaps even Mn Max (if Apple allows a 6-pin and/or 8-pin power connector).

In the Afterburner card situation data is 'handed' to the card and handed back. Apple could do something similar only structured on extremely fast, low latency virtual Ehthernet and lots of apps that can 'talk' to remote macs to spread out work .. just would work with almost no changes.

The remote , embedded Mx SoC doesn't have to be weaved into the unified memory if let go of the UMA dogma. Just make it a Mac on a card without a fancy desktop aluminum chassis.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
It tested on m2 ultra MP

if just a 'thing' on the end of a PCI-e bus , wonder if card could work in a MP 2019 also. If works over a TBv4 connection, then a x4-x8 PCI-e v3 connection would be just as 'good' bandwidth wise.

if really want to get to generic use coverage could make work with a Windows/Linux box.

Reactions: Rimmsi

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
I just sold my 2019 for the same price of a fully specked m2 ultra Studio… but I’m so ready to come back to a Mac pro if they do something like that in two years :)))

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
So four of these Compute Modules in a Mac14,8...?

No. opening the door so that any modern Mac could use one of these. If really want to sell lots of these cards then can't limit this just to the Mac Pro. That could actually get the cost down. Unless folks would prefer that the thing mininally cost $2,500 . Not sure that is a 'feature'. Making a PCI-e card to go into as few systems as possible isn't really going to help the ecosystem much.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
No. opening the door so that any modern Mac could use one of these. If really want to sell lots of these cards then can't limit this just to the Mac Pro. That could actually get the cost down. Unless folks would prefer that the thing mininally cost $2,500 . Not sure that is a 'feature'. Making a PCI-e card to go into as few systems as possible isn't really going to help the ecosystem much.

I never said anything about limiting these to just the Mac14,8; one would assume Apple might target these towards use with a TB chassis of one sort or another...

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I never said anything about limiting these to just the Mac14,8; one would assume Apple might target these towards use with a TB chassis of one sort or another...

Enabling for x4 PCI-e v3 Thunderbolt bandwidth constraints has a trade off. Probably going to need more horsepower on the card to make the slower round trip time to the card worthwhile in a wide variety of situatations. ( data gets over slower but the compute reduction time makes up the difference once it all gets there). More horse power means more power. More power means 6 or 8 pin aux power to the card. Can the MP 2023 do four 6/8 pin aux power to cards??? Nope.

Being monomaniacally focused on trying to fill up every slot possible on a Mac Pro 2023 probably shouldn't be the top priority.

If this is extremely focused on being 'Afterburner II" then probably also tossing TB deployments also due to bandwidth limits. Again monomaniacal focus probably leading to fewer deployments ( and higher card prices ).

OrenLindsey

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2023
North Carolina
Apple could make a dedicated GPU that beats the 4090 if they tried. Just take the iGPU from the M2 Ultra, overclock it a little bit, and let it use the full power supply on the Mac Pro. Would be awesome.

• Haha
Reactions: prefuse07
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.