Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hollyrichards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
I’m looking into buying an iPad for university, and I like the idea of writing notes using an Apple Pencil onto an ipad, and I believe there’s then apps that can change your writing into text to. I may get an Apple Pencil but they seem so expensive for what they are, do you think it’s really worth £130 for a stylus, or do you think a alternative £30 one off Amazon could do the same and save me a lot of money?

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
The new Air with the gen2 Pencil might be a really good combo for note-taking. Do you currently hand-write notes? Or do you type them out?

I use an iPP with the gen2 pencil for art, and my only gripe is that the pencil action across the physical screen is too ‘smooth’, not like a pen/pencil on actual paper. I even find that it’s smoother than a gel ink pen on real paper. Because of this smoothness, my handwriting looks worse than in the real world. I might invest in one of those screen protectors that ‘rough up’ the screen a bit to simulate real paper.

Do you know anyone with an iPad & pencil combo that would let you try notetaking? Are you in a location where you can safely go to a store to try it?

Reactions: mgscheue

Hollyrichards

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
The new Air with the gen2 Pencil might be a really good combo for note-taking. Do you currently hand-write notes? Or do you type them out?

I use an iPP with the gen2 pencil for art, and my only gripe is that the pencil action across the physical screen is too ‘smooth’, not like a pen/pencil on actual paper. I even find that it’s smoother than a gel ink pen on real paper. Because of this smoothness, my handwriting looks worse than in the real world. I might invest in one of those screen protectors that ‘rough up’ the screen a bit to simulate real paper.

Do you know anyone with an iPad & pencil combo that would let you try notetaking? Are you in a location where you can safely go to a store to try it?
Unfortunately I am in the UK and I’m in a tier 4 lockdown so all shops are closed apart from supermarkets so can’t try it!

djlythium

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2014
Unfortunately I am in the UK and I’m in a tier 4 lockdown so all shops are closed apart from supermarkets so can’t try it!
Yeah, I was wondering. I picked up clues from your prose. ?

Shucks! Well, when do classes start? It might be worth it, if economically feasible, to get the Air + gen2 pencil (I wouldn’t do any less that this combo, IMO) to try it yourself now. If you don’t like it, return them?

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I’m looking into buying an iPad for university, and I like the idea of writing notes using an Apple Pencil onto an ipad, and I believe there’s then apps that can change your writing into text to. I may get an Apple Pencil but they seem so expensive for what they are, do you think it’s really worth £130 for a stylus, or do you think a alternative £30 one off Amazon could do the same and save me a lot of money?
I tried to use iPad for taking class notes. But, it end up (after few times tries) with using MacBook. iPad usage is more for reading PDF books and journals, or browsing to get some definition or examples. I have apple pencil but not so much usage (I didn’t like drawing). In the beginning, i am curious of how cool and usability of Apple Pencil (drawing, highlighting), but after few months, I used less and less.

Wando64

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2013
... do you think it’s really worth £130 for a stylus, or do you think a alternative £30 one off Amazon could do the same and save me a lot of money?

Whatever you decide to do, don’t buy a cheap stylus that is not an Apple one.
The Apple Pencil interacts in a very specific way with the iPad, and nothing else gets even remotely close to it in the way it functions.
As with many other Apple products, it works flawlessly and the integration with iOS is excellent.
However, whether you will find it worth £130 it will very much depends.

For example, I am not sure personally I would use it to take notes. I love pen and paper too much for that.
I do some sketching with it (with Procreate) and it works very well for that.
I also use mine when I give lessons with Zoom to write or draw on the whiteboard.
Finally, it is great for fine control of the interface with complex software such as LumaFusion or Cubasis.

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
Get the Pencil and use it with Notability app for note taking. You can take notes and also record if you like. It’s an extremely versatile app.

Note taking by handwriting actually stays in your memory better than typing.

Reactions: Scott-n-Houston

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I’m a professor, so a slightly different use case than you’re describing, but I will give an absolute yes. The Apple Pencil is fantastic and is an integral part of how I interact with my iPad.

GoodNotes is my preferred handwritten notation app (handles handwriting conversion just fine) but the iPad OS now supports that feature throughout the OS.

I will also give a strong recommendation to LiquidText. The best PDF reader I’ve ever interacted with.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2017
I got the first gen with my old IPP and found I never used it. Upgraded and gave it to my older daughter for college and she really did not use it with the pencil. My younger daughter took it for college and uses it with Notability all the time. She says it is invaluable especially with downloading Powerpoint presentations for her classes.

Reactions: crashnburn

tops2

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2014
I ended up with a $17 Apple Pencil clone from Aliexpress (same as the ones you can find on Amazon). I’m glad I did. After the initial honeymoon period, I almost never use it anymore. That said, I never draw and got the Apple Pencil clone out of curiosity.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
I would definitely recommend going with a genuine Apple Pencil if you will be using it on a frequent basis. As others mentioned, it will make the interaction between it and the iPad a much better user experience than any clone out there.

If you go with an iPad 7th/8th generation (not Air or Pro), you could purchase a 1st generation pencil for £89 from Apple (or even possibly cheaper second hand). I am using one on a 6th generation iPad and it is very useful for note taking as well as sketching on procreate.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I ended up with a $17 Apple Pencil clone from Aliexpress (same as the ones you can find on Amazon). I’m glad I did. After the initial honeymoon period, I almost never use it anymore. That said, I never draw and got the Apple Pencil clone out of curiosity.

While the Apple Pencil 2 is a great stylus, it is IMO way over-priced. But we kind of all know that comes with the territory.

It's not a bad idea to go the same route as top2 has. I was the same when I had an iPad 6th gen/ Pencil. I probably used the Pencil ten times over the course of 2 years. I prefer using a keyboard for notes.

Perhaps get a cheap clone and try it out for a few weeks. If you find you're enjoying the whole hand note taking process, I'd then pony up and get the real deal.

Reactions: tops2

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
Depends if you want to take notes, draw etc it’s worth it, if you will mainly use it as a stylus I wouldn’t bother

clarksonator

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2010
I’ve never used an Apple Pencil but I do like the Zagg Pro Stylus. Has tilt but no pressure sensitivity. I also have a cheaper stylus from Amazon that has tilt but the Zagg works a bit better and I like that the charging port is protected and the passive stylus on the end. I plan on using it for notes and quick sketches so the AP would be overkill for me.

Reactions: crashnburn

Andy Ward

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2020
I've never used a Apple pencil yet. But I used wacom bamboo and Meko Tech Stylus. They are all quite useful. I like both, I often change to use them. Sometimes to use them to draw in Procreate, sometimes use them to make notes when reading.

Osamede

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2009
I would definitely recommend going with a genuine Apple Pencil if you will be using it on a frequent basis. As others mentioned, it will make the interaction between it and the iPad a much better user experience than any clone out there.

If you go with an iPad 7th/8th generation (not Air or Pro), you could purchase a 1st generation pencil for £89 from Apple (or even possibly cheaper second hand). I am using one on a 6th generation iPad and it is very useful for note taking as well as sketching on procreate.
What’s the difference to Gen2?

Bea220

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2020
SoCal
I’ve had my Apple Pencil for a little over a month and it must have fallen because the nib is warped. I’m so pissed it fell and is now in need of the nib being replaced. Seriously annoyed. Ordered a 4 pack from Amazon/Apple at a discounted price but a big part of me is really regretting not having returned the iPad. I shouldn’t have gotten such big storage on it. It’s funny how just this little “nib” experience the DAY AFTER my return window closed has me feeling such regret. I was hoping for a smoother experience. I still feel like this device is insanely overpriced but a $4 nib becoming useless so soon just soured my experience on a $2k grand purchase. Sorry, I’m just venting.

(I bought the 2021 12.9 Space Gray 512 GB wifi, White MKB, and Apple Pencil together)

Kyle76

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2017
North Carolina
Gen. 2 is great for the devices that support it: automatic pairing and wireless charging through the magnetic connection to the iPad. It’s convenient because it’s always right there to use. It also has an advanced function of double tapping on the barrel to initiate the eraser or some other programmable function. As mentioned, the pencils are device specific and not interchangeable between different iPad models.

Reactions: Bea220 and mgscheue
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.