Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HannaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2020
I bought new ipad gen7 and apple pencil 1st gen,which worked fine but after I udpated ios to 13.7 it stopped pairing nor it is listed under bluetooth devices.I tried charging both 100% with adapter and then tried connecting them still no use.Also tried some troubleshoot techniques like reset,reboot but still pairing pop-up doesn't shows up.My ipad recognises other devices but it doesn't recognise only pencil.Please suggest solution for the problem.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Dumb question, but did you try to plug the Pencil into the Lightning port of your iPad?

HannaLee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2020
Yeah tried to connect to lightening port of ipad ,but still can't see repair pop-up it.Strange,I think my pencil is not charging ipad (since I can't see change in percentage)so I tried charging via adapter and then connected to ipad but no change in issue.

eelpout

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Silicon Valley
(old thread, I know)

I have a Pro 10.5" I have a similar problem with. I plug a Pencil (Gen 1) into it, pairs the first time, shows maybe 3% battery, then pops to 100% after a few minutes. It works for maybe 30 seconds. After this, it intermittently shows up in Bluetooth "My Devices" for pairing but will never actually connect when clicked on. I recently got another refurbished Pencil 1 from Apple that behaved exactly the same way. Even charged it with a USB-C to Lightning adapter outside of the iPad. Eventually both of these just refused to work, no battery level, stops even showing up in Bluetooth.

I'm beginning to think it's something about this iPad and something that happens to them after being plugged in for a while. Frankly, I'm afraid to plug yet another Pencil 1 into it now. Charging and other accessories work fine with this tablet however.

If I bother to get another Pencil, I'll try it on an iPad Mini I have first. Oh and both of these Pencil 1's I've tried with this newer iPad Mini and they wouldn't work/pair there either. These Gen 1 Pencils are just bad IMO. :/

Joeyli

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2023
I also had the same problem, but later I gave up and bought an imitation product, which is more convenient and has no pairing problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.